Gransnet forums

House and home

Is it worth recovering sofas?

(141 Posts)
agapanthus Sat 25-Feb-12 16:55:30

Hi! I'm new to this so here goes.
We desparately need new loose covers on our two sofas , which are about 10 years old , but one of them has a 'saggy' seat (because its in a fav position), and the feather cushions on the back are droopy. They were Collins and Hayes . I was going to get a quote for new covers ,but apart from the environmental issue I wonder if it will be worth it financially. Any views or similar expeiences please?

Stansgran Fri 05-Feb-16 20:16:50

I need a rather higher seat than our low level chairs etc. Does anyone make elegant furniture, modern stuff? there is nothing except seats for the elderly with wings and antibacterial finish suitable for nursing homes! I'm not going to pee on the seat yet. I have delcor furniture and I'm thinking I ought to get it refreshed and recovered.

mumofmadboys Fri 05-Feb-16 19:48:31

We bought a 3 piece suite second hand ( or more!!) when we were first married in 1981. It cost £25. Since then we have had it reupholsted three times and it is still going strong. Had new cushions each time. It was not cheap- £600 first time,£900 second time and £1600 last time. We like the simple shape of it and try our best to avoid putting too much in landfill.

Elegran Fri 05-Feb-16 18:48:00

This thread was started in 2012. It goes dormant for months and then a s**a seller finds it and posts spam to try to get us to buy - no-one ever does so they are wasting their time. Their spammy post is deleted instantly, then the thread goes into hibernation again. Round and round goes the b****y great wheel but no-one gets any satisfaction.

Ah well, I suppose it keeps them out of mischief elsewhere. I just wonder where they find a reference to this page? In some trade mag somewhere? Some list of elderly suckers who love to buy s***s? Do they pass our name round at s**a conventions?
"Psst - wanna buy a list of secret s**a addicts?"

(Note - Leesten carefully, I shall say zees only once - "Zees name s**a ees disguised to conceal zees message from enemy search engines." )

Nelliemoser Fri 05-Feb-16 18:29:18

Is it that the kids are out again for half term?

I don't remember writing all those posts.

Elegran Fri 05-Feb-16 17:27:17

Twentysix

tesanugraha Fri 05-Feb-16 16:26:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Elegran Sat 30-Nov-13 13:37:41

It is all from the same website, under different names and linking to different bits and to their blog - which is another sales pitch. They must have a list with this link on it and fire off messages automatically.

Nelliemoser Sat 30-Nov-13 12:42:06

These people are clearly under occupied. Let's just confine them to one thread.
It's as likely as not they would find somewhere else to spam.

And I thought upholstery firms were in decline in our throw away society!

Elegran Sat 30-Nov-13 11:55:29

Twentyfive.

newist Sat 30-Nov-13 11:25:10

grin

MiceElf Sat 30-Nov-13 10:55:58

A new one could be started called Stitching situpons.

MiceElf Sat 30-Nov-13 10:54:57

If GCHQ deleted this thread it might stop the plonkers. Just sayin'.

janeainsworth Sat 30-Nov-13 10:49:39

Reported.... sigh.

paampoppy Sat 30-Nov-13 10:39:20

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tiggypiro Wed 27-Nov-13 12:57:03

I am going to upholstery class to re-do a small (just a bit bigger than a childs) armchair. By the time I pay for the lessons, stuffing etc and fabric it is going to cost about £200 ! I am enjoying learning how to do it properly though !

Elegran Wed 27-Nov-13 09:22:48

Twentyfour people with nothing better to do than post rubbish. I think the theory that sofas must be a euphemism is correct.

I think I shall go and have a lie-down on the sofa.
I do like a nice big comfy sofa,but it must be firmly filled and nicely upholstered.
Should I replace my old sofa, it is getting rather old and tired? The loose covers are fading and don't fit well, and the stuffing is not what it was.

Who am I to talk about anyone else have nothing better to do?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-Nov-13 06:54:35

Nellie grin

kittylester Wed 27-Nov-13 06:33:52

Reported

zhanpeggie Wed 27-Nov-13 05:13:24

janeainsworth Thu 21-Nov-13 07:42:55

We are in the process of having ours recovered too, by a local upholsterer. We could have replaced it for only slightly more money but I still like the basic design and it's still comfortable, so it seems the best and most environmentally-friendly option.

mrsmopp Wed 20-Nov-13 23:10:57

Can I put my two penny worth in? We bought our suite in 1984; it's the type with back cushions as well as seat covers. It was well sprung and covered in Dralon. Remember Dralon? Wonder what happened to it?
Anyway the suite is still very comfortable. I've seen some that look great until you sit down and there's no comfort at all.
We opted for made to measure loose covers which can be washed, and I'm so happy. It looks great, and should last for years. The style is classic and the new covers have instantly updated it. Chose a lovely fabric. It's another option.
This reminds me - do you remember those stretchy bri-nylon covers they used to sell in the catalogues? Ugh!

conellosaai Tue 19-Nov-13 10:54:21

Kevinstated Tue 12-Nov-13 12:30:48

dustyangel Mon 04-Nov-13 13:30:52

Same style of writing so probably. I've never reported a post before and I managed to do it twice by mistake as it was deceptively easy.
You'd think they would have better things to do.

Elegran Mon 04-Nov-13 13:00:36

Dear God, do they never check their spam posts for reactions?

Was it the same crass crew?