Gransnet forums

House and home

Non iron duvet covers.

(57 Posts)
supermum48 Sat 23-Jun-12 18:02:14

Can anybody recommend a non iron duvet cover that really is non iron? I want to be able to machine wash, tumble dry and put straight back on the bed.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 23-Jun-12 22:15:22

It may be silly j04, but we all know what it means! I like to see a fresh, smooth bed too, but as far as I can see, that means one where the quilt has been pulled up and smoothed by hand, and by the time that is done, it doesn't seem to me to matter if the cover has been ironed or not. Perhaps the beauty of a bed, like that of a person, is in the eye of the beholder,and so it's just as well that we all have different tastes.

Anagram Sat 23-Jun-12 22:14:19

Commenting negatively on other posters' choice of phrase is rude.

j04 Sat 23-Jun-12 22:07:46

'get a life' is a silly phrase.

j04 Sat 23-Jun-12 22:07:22

Oh but I love walking into my bedroom during the day and seeing a nice fresh, smooth bed. It's a small pleasure but definitely a part of my life.

Nonu Sat 23-Jun-12 22:02:05

Thoughfully , do anyone really iron their duvet covers , what a total , total waste of time get a life

kittylester Sat 23-Jun-12 21:17:09

I read once that Jackie Kennedy had her stockings ironed! confused

flowerfriend Sat 23-Jun-12 21:14:00

Some of mine are 100% cotton from IKEA and a good blow on the line is all they need.

Bez Sat 23-Jun-12 20:53:56

Tried all that with the damp etc but not much difference - I now. Just do them with the linen setting on the iron and lots of steam - OH never notices anyway- just me being fussy really.

granjura Sat 23-Jun-12 20:40:07

Iron them when still very slightly damp. I wash mine on 60C too, but on a slower spin.

Bez Sat 23-Jun-12 20:30:02

I confess to ironing mine - the cotton one is a swine to iron and I am never completely satisfied with the result - I have a very good pressured steam iron too - I do quite enjoy ironing - or at least seeing the pile when it is done - I like the smell too! I wash my bedding and towels etc at a high temperature and that tends to put creases in which don't come out enough when they are dried.

I remember reading once that when Jackie Kennedy lived in the White House she once had the bed changed four times in a day - maybe Marilyn had been visiting!

greenmossgiel Sat 23-Jun-12 20:02:26

Not on my nellie, either, nellie!! grin

j04 Sat 23-Jun-12 20:01:21

You know Supermum, the one I paid around a hundred pounds for from John Lewis (supposed to be easy-care cotton) is a bugger to iron, and looks not good if you don't. But the one I bought from a huge warehouse cheapie store for nine pounds, doesn't need touching with an iron. It's a very soft poly-cotton. Nice to sleep under.

So, perhaps go for the cheapest.

nelliedeane Sat 23-Jun-12 19:57:23

Not on your Nellie grin

numberplease Sat 23-Jun-12 19:44:12

I`m another who folds and irons the two exposed sides, same with sheets, I do iron pillowcases though.

kittylester Sat 23-Jun-12 19:30:00

I fold mine into quarters and steam iron the two top surfaces, if you see what I mean, the rest seems to benefit! I also have cushions and a throw on top (I believe it's called drawing the eye!) so there isn't much actual cover to see! I do wish there was a 'clean bed every day' fairy, like the one that puts stuff in the dishwasher, only not me!

nanaej Sat 23-Jun-12 19:03:27

Iron... confused

jeni Sat 23-Jun-12 18:54:37

Mine gets dried by hanging over the bannister if the weathers bad, outside if good!
I'm Eco friendly I am!

Ariadne Sat 23-Jun-12 18:44:29

My duvet covers are cotton, and while I wouldn't iron them, my cleaner does. So they are all crisp and lovely for one night at least. ( And I have explained about my cleaner lots of times!)

granjura Sat 23-Jun-12 18:43:46

Right I'll own up on this one. One of life's luxuries I do care for is freshly ironed pure cotton high count thread sheets. Bliss.

Anagram Sat 23-Jun-12 18:41:28

Shouldn't need ironing if you tumble dry them. I haven't ironed anything for years...

jeni Sat 23-Jun-12 18:38:46

Ah! The white nights!

Bags Sat 23-Jun-12 18:35:51

It ain't dark here when I go to bed. In fact, it hardly gets dark at all in summer. Sun just goes behind the hills for a bit.

Winter makes up for it though.

But crumples in my duvet cover don't crumple my spirits.

jeni Sat 23-Jun-12 18:34:07

We have electric light in N Somerset!smile

Notsogrand Sat 23-Jun-12 18:32:59

.....and it's dark when you go to bed.

jeni Sat 23-Jun-12 18:32:42

I believe my cleaner does iron mine, at least she takes it into the room with the iron in it and stays there listening to musicconfused