Gransnet forums

House and home

upvc cleaner

(24 Posts)
bichonmad Tue 28-May-13 08:38:40

hello everyone i really could do with some help,my neighbour decided to paint his fence over the bank holiday with one of the fence paints you can use,thats fine but he used a sprayer and when i went into my back garden the next day its everywhere all over my pond,filterbox,solar lights,but worst of all my upvc back door is covered the paint is brown my door is white so it really shows up,iv tried hot soapy water wich my son pointed out the paint is waterproof blush i wondered if anyone knows of anything thats not abrasive and will clean it off,honestly who uses a sprayer on a breezy day angry

shysal Tue 28-May-13 08:50:13

Hello again Bichon , how awful for you! I heard my heighbours saying they would be painting their fence yesterday, and was very relieved when they used a brush. Surely it is common sense to consider what is happening on the other side when spraying! Have you told them? One doesn't like to be a complainer, but something probably needs to be said, even if you just ask to read the tin for removal instructions, which might help.
Hope you find a solution.

tanith Tue 28-May-13 08:52:42

I did get some off with a gentle rib with some Jif on a microfibre cloth but it was only a tiny bit.
Neighbours! who'd have 'em grin I hope you manage to get it off.. my husband suggested some car tar removal cream but I'm not so sure about that.

bichonmad Tue 28-May-13 09:19:10

hello shysal i did speak to them they smiled and said sorry and will warn you in future, theres nothing on the tin, i was worried about my koi but they seem ok,thank you for your reply sad

glammanana Tue 28-May-13 09:20:38

Just a thought,it may be inapproiate but would you not consider giving him the bill to restore your property into the condition it was in before he decided to spray everything in sight ? I certainly would.

bichonmad Tue 28-May-13 09:22:38

hello tanith,i had a look at jif but i wasnt sure if it was abrasive i will look at your husbands suggestion i wouldnt think that was abrasive thank you sad

chunckey Tue 28-May-13 09:45:09

Hello tanith, I was in the construction trade and we had a similar problem to yours, we used acetone to remove it . a weak version of this is nail varnish remover. If you can get to a firm that sells plastic you should be able to buy some there, it goes under the title of uvpvc cleaner.
hope this helps.

chunckey Tue 28-May-13 09:49:55

Sorry last post should have gone to bichonmad,must have had a senior moment. confused

j08 Tue 28-May-13 09:52:27

I wonder if it might be worth contacting your insurance company, especially about the door. There might be grounds for replacing it, or at least having it professionally cleaned, and your inurance company claiming the cost from his insurance.

Charleygirl Tue 28-May-13 10:29:04

Hi Bichonmad, That is horrendous and you should not be paying for this to be rectified. Maybe ask a double glazing company what could be used? Can you remember who installed yours?

Elegran Tue 28-May-13 11:33:17

"Warning you next time" is not soon enough. He should have had the sense to know that a sprayer will spray everything it can reach.

Has he been into your garden to actually see the damage? Get an estimate from a couple of firms for putting right the damage, then invite him round to see it and show him the cost. Tell him that you are claiming on your insurance, and that they will probably be contacting his insurers - after all, if it was a car bump you would be exchanging names of insurers. This is a similar situation.

bichonmad Tue 28-May-13 13:10:43

thank you chunckey i will certainly try it,i am getting more annoyed with him after reading your comments he had a massive heart attack in march and im afraid i didnt want to stress him im soo gratefull to you all and i will try all your suggestions blush

Charleygirl Tue 28-May-13 21:58:09

Have you taken a photograph of the damage? The insurance company may appreciate it downloaded to them so that they can see the extent of the damage done by your kind neighbour.

He may have had a massive heart attack recently but he has brought this stress on all by himself. It is not as though you are shouting and screaming at him, it appears that you have approached it in a more reasonable manner than I would have been able to do.
Good luck!

bichonmad Sun 23-Jun-13 10:17:11

thank you charleygirl my daughter said the same thing,then i looked out of the window and he is loading up his trailor with a lawn mower and goes out for the day doing peoples lawns confused

Elegran Sun 23-Jun-13 10:20:44

If he is doing other people's lawns then he is claiming to know a little about gardening, he should have known better. Heart attack or not, he is responsible for destroying part of your properry and should take steps to make good. Even saying it was a mistake and he is sorry would be something! Claim on your insurance, and get them to claim it back from his, or from him if he has none.

justinye Tue 09-May-17 09:18:09

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanaandGrampy Tue 09-May-17 09:32:23

Reported

Charleygirl Tue 09-May-17 10:49:12

The problem is that if you claim it on your insurance it will rocket afterwards. It should be his and his alone.

starbird Tue 09-May-17 11:11:21

This is not straightforward. It looks as though you may be able to clean up this year but what will happen next time? Will you be able to hang a blanket over your door? Is it also on the walls of your house?

Did the spray come over the top of the fence or through the cracks?

If he does gardening work, I wonder what would happen if he sprays someone else's fence and it damages their neighbour's garden - could be interesting!

mumofmadboys Tue 09-May-17 11:26:31

At the end of the day you don't want to sour your relationship with your neighbours.

Stansgran Tue 09-May-17 11:40:29

Is this a zombie thread?

Anya Tue 09-May-17 12:01:40

Bichonmad is a regular poster.

Elegran Tue 09-May-17 12:04:21

Let it RIP. Great gap between June 2013 and May 2017. Resuscitated today by a spammer, so it has returned to the active threads.

Anya Tue 09-May-17 12:13:02

Oops....misunderstood.