Gransnet forums

House and home

window cleanung

(19 Posts)
suey Mon 17-Nov-14 13:39:44

When I clean windows....which I certainly don't do as often as I should...they always end up smeared when the sun is on them. Have tried everything, including, years ago, some very expensive linen cloths for the purpose from Lakeland.I shall continue to hope that friends don't call in in the mid-morning as the sun is on them then,
my daughter who lives in the US tells me to get some rubbing alcohol. Will try it.

Anne58 Mon 17-Nov-14 13:45:30

I use W5 window & glass cleaner from Lidl and paper towels instead of cloths and they seem to come up ok.

Gagagran Mon 17-Nov-14 13:58:09

I had a window cleaner (who called himself a "Vision Technician"!) and he said the only way to get clean, smear-free windows is to use tap water with the tiniest drop of washing up liquid in it. Put on with a sponge, take off with a rubber scraper and wipe the sill with an old towel. It does work!

MarkHarrison Tue 18-Nov-14 09:51:12

Have you tried wiping off with a newspaper at the end? I know it sounds ridiculous, but it might work. A month ago I paid this company for a window cleaning because our windows are too tall to reach. I saw the guy doing this after the cleaning. Good luck.

ninathenana Tue 18-Nov-14 16:25:08

I've used newspaper for a while now with whatever glass cleaning spray is on offer at the time.
I also read somewhere not to clean when the sun is shining on them. This helps too. Although it's not a perfect method.

hildajenniJ Tue 18-Nov-14 16:45:46

I use the water and washing up liquid method.

I do have a steam mop, and intend trying the window cleaning attachment the next time I clean the windows.

Probably in time for Christmas. grin

Teetime Tue 18-Nov-14 16:53:10

My Mother always had sparkling windows - my father used to clean them with warm tap water with a dash of vinegar in and scrim (a rough cloth) and newspaper. I have a man with a bucket outside and a man (DH) with Wilko window cleaner and paper towel indoors- not completely streak free but perfectly fine.

merlotgran Tue 18-Nov-14 16:54:54

Our windows are difficult to keep clean because the prevailing wind blows black fen soil straight at us but thanks to jingl's recommendation on another thread, I bought a Karcher window vac.

It does a great job and it's the first time I've had sparkling windows since we moved here in 1998!!

Ana Tue 18-Nov-14 16:56:47

I thought the Karcher just sucked the water off the glass? Don't you still have to clean the windows first?

feetlebaum Tue 18-Nov-14 17:23:40

A professional I talked to said that Fairy Liquid (original) is what they all use - he said that it has a higher salt content than the others, which makes it a more efficient glass cleaner.

merlotgran Tue 18-Nov-14 17:31:56

Yes, you still have to clean the windows, Ana but with a dispenser that comes with the kit. You wipe it all over the window then the vac sucks all the water off as you do the 'squeegy' bit.

Really simple.

Iam64 Tue 18-Nov-14 18:00:42

I use those micro cloths, the rougher one to clean, and smooth to dry and polish. Warm water, with a spot of white vinegar. I find it's much easier than using cleaning products.

suzied Tue 18-Nov-14 18:21:35

I am another Karcher fan. I have big south facing patio doors and huge windows at the front and it is has halved the time I used to spend cleaning them and no streaks. I don't use their brand of cleaner I just use water and vinegar or water and Lidl window cleaner, spray on, vac off and use an ecloth just to even out the edges.

Ana Tue 18-Nov-14 18:23:29

I've had a Karcher for ages, but it's still in its box...blush

I promise to start using it very soon!

Agus Tue 18-Nov-14 20:24:35

Right, must unpack the karcher I have had for ages too!

I remember years ago the window cleaner asking me to fill his bucket with luke warm water and just a drop of fairy liquid. This is the mix I have used since then but I also add a small amount of white vinegar.

I wash the windows twice with a chamois then dry off and buff with kitchen roll.

JaredWelch Sat 23-Nov-19 11:21:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

M0nica Sat 23-Nov-19 11:44:10

We pay someone to clean the outside windows and I do the inside ones with a good old fashioned chamois leather and warm water. It seems to work.

Elegran Sat 23-Nov-19 12:02:27

I don't think a firm in Sacramento would cross the Atlantic to clean windows.

Jessity Sat 23-Nov-19 12:25:19

I've tried everything including the drop of Fairy Liquid method without success till a friend recommended Nilglass from Lakeland. I've never had such sparkling windows. And mirrors. And glass shelves.