Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing a bean bag......Help!!

(17 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 19-Feb-15 11:37:13

Visitors arriving tonight and I need to wash a bean bag that I bought just before Christmas. I've just discovered that although it has a zip on the cover, there is no inner bag to remove - everything is sealed.

Is it OK to wash the whole bag with the beans inside??

gillybob Thu 19-Feb-15 11:42:52

I wouldn't do that merlotgran. I would open the beanbag a little way and dispense the "beans" into a black sack or similar. Wash the outer bag and then do the same in reverse.

Anya Thu 19-Feb-15 11:45:04

No Merlot shock

Do as Gilly says

rosequartz Thu 19-Feb-15 11:50:06

I am wondering why it needs washing so soon - have you been spilling red wine all over it merlotgran? grin

I would do as gilly says.
If you had time could you make an inner out of an old sheet?

Soutra Thu 19-Feb-15 12:06:26

Exactly what Gillybob says!

Wheniwasyourage Thu 19-Feb-15 12:37:07

We had one as a wedding present and it was so big that when we wanted to wash it there wasn't a bag big enough so we emptied the beans into the bath, and then spent many happy hours putting them back. grin

merlotgran Thu 19-Feb-15 12:49:33

Oh heck. Life's too short to be decanting those horrible lightweight polystyrene beans. I'll be finding them for weeks!

The dogs made it grubby by jumping all over it so they can have it as a bed.

I wonder why you can't wash them with the beans inside? They're not going to go anywhere are they? hmm

Thanks everyone.

Ana Thu 19-Feb-15 13:00:34

Imagine if it 'leaked' in the washing machine, merlot! shock

Ana Thu 19-Feb-15 13:01:19

(it must be quite a small bean-bag if it would actually fit)

Elegran Thu 19-Feb-15 13:14:55

If you made a bag for the beads out of an old sheet or curtain, you would only need to empty them all once. The bag doesn't need to be beautifully made, or accurately shaped.

That doesn't help for the visitors tonight. I'd be hiding the beanbag in the cupboard until they have gone and doing it then.

annodomini Thu 19-Feb-15 13:17:57

I have a couple of Kushtis - small cushions filled with polystyrene beads. On the grounds that hot liquids are served in polystyrene containers, I've washed them many times with no ill effects on the beads. I don't tumble dry though. I am very careful to ensure that there are no holes in the cushions before I put them in the washing machine.

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Feb-15 13:23:48

Too late! It probably won't dry in time. Personally, if it's really bad I'd bury it in a cupboard!

merlotgran Thu 19-Feb-15 13:29:26

Yep. Too late. Hidden out of sight. I might try washing it another day and see what happens.

It's not huge so will fit in my WM.

gillybob Thu 19-Feb-15 13:32:55

I hope it doesn't burst open in the washing machine merlot or you could be picking little polystyrene beads out of your smalls for ever more. smile

.............and they are very clingy.

merlotgran Thu 19-Feb-15 13:36:48

The dogs are looking for it. I'll stick it in the corner of the sitting room for them.....Anything for a quiet life. wink

RedOctopuss Sat 22-Jul-17 00:41:56

I have a question, my bed is a giant bean bag about the size of a full size bed. It's filed with tiny foam squares but there is no inner lining. It really needs to be cleaned but I don't know how because of the size. Any advice?

jeffbguarino Sun 22-Nov-20 18:55:48

I have a large bean bag with a kind of corduroy fabric that has been sitting for years and is very dusty. It is about 3 feet across and a couple of feet high. I am going to wash in the bathtub with some laundry detergent and work it with my hands and then let sit and soak and repeat. Then will drain the water and rinse with fresh water. Then hang it up on the bathtub door up high for the water to drain and dry. It is dry here and things usually take one day to dry out. I may have to clamp it to the top of the door if it weighs to much full of water , I will let you know how it went.