Gransnet forums

House and home

Steam Cleaners

(14 Posts)
mollie Mon 30-Nov-15 13:37:26

Any recommendations, warnings etc? I've never used one but people rave about steam cleaners so I'd like to know why, what am I missing?

tanith Mon 30-Nov-15 14:32:40

OH bought one 4yrs ago I didn't want it but he bought it anyway, he used it once wasn't that impressed said was messy and time consuming (I'd already told him that grin) and I think its somewhere in its box in the garage...

Charleygirl Mon 30-Nov-15 14:58:34

Yes tanith mine is in a box indoors.

Elegran Mon 30-Nov-15 15:01:49

I've one for cleaning hard and vinyl floors and it is very good, better than a mop. A containerful of water lasts for several washes, as it just heats it as it passes through to the mop bit, and the rest stays clean. You can plug it in, give it half a minute to heat up, then wash the floor (a quick once-over with just water or a more thorough one with detergent sprayed on the floor first) The corner where you started is dry before you reach the far corner, no keeping out of the kitchen while it is still wet. When the mop gets dirty, the cover can be detached and thrown in the washing machine.

It also "refreshes" carpets - ie you can clean a spill or a spot, but it is not as thorough as a proper carpet cleaner. Fine for footprints when someone comes in with dirty shoes.

Mine is a small Vax. It doesn't do upholstery or windows. Some do. I bought it greatly reduced because it was a reconditioned "returned or with cosmetic faults" one. I'd have said that it was new, and it had a year's guarantee.

grannylyn65 Mon 30-Nov-15 16:15:50

Mine is in Grandmas shed!

ninathenana Mon 30-Nov-15 16:29:40

DD borrowed ours to clean her kitchen when she moved, I was impressed with the result. I tried it on the fabric arms of my three piece and it was messy and not very effective.It's back in the garage.

ginny Mon 30-Nov-15 16:31:13

Wouldn't be without mine. Quick and easy . No heavy bucket to slosh around and no dirty water to throw away . Floors dry very quickly.

Mine is a Bissell..

Jayh Mon 30-Nov-15 16:38:07

I have a Vax. It cleans the floors quickly and efficiently and they are dry by the time I am finished. I love it.

Elegran Mon 30-Nov-15 16:40:02

Mine is not meant to be used on furniture or curtains, just floors. I can't imagine any gadget would do well on three-dimensional furniture.

Charleygirl Mon 30-Nov-15 16:46:35

I do not use a bucket and water- I squirt and wipe, obviously not on my hands and knees, using a long handled squeezee type mop. I clean the head each time and replace it frequently. Admittedly the ceramic tiles and cushion flooring does take a while to dry but the end result is good.

numberplease Mon 30-Nov-15 17:28:35

Mine`s a Polti, haven`t used it very much, hubby doesn`t like it, says I wasted the money. It only goes for a few minutes, then we have to wait ages before it`s ready to go again, so a bit of a disappointment really, an expensive disappointment.

ninathenana Mon 30-Nov-15 17:39:41

Elegran mine is a hand held steamer not a floor mop type. It states on the box "for use in kitchens, bathrooms and for soft furnishings"

suzied Mon 30-Nov-15 18:09:18

I have a karcher and love it. It does the floors brilliantly, amazing amount of dirt removed without using cleaning products. It has several different heads, can do tiles, sinks, ovens etc and has a head for upholstery and curtains etc. I do steam stains on carpets etc, and the little head is good for suede boots! I guess I give the floors and bathroom a good steam every couple of months or so

mollie Mon 30-Nov-15 18:36:42

I was wondering about bathrooms and cooker hoods etc. I remember trying a steamer once before (I lied, sorryblush) and it was a disaster much like numberplease. But I've heard people swearing by (or was it at?) their steamers so thought I'd ask...