Gransnet forums

House and home

Grey paint suggestions

(79 Posts)
petitpois Thu 21-Jan-16 09:55:51

I am looking to update our bedroom walls. When we moved in they were magnolia and we've never got round to repainting. Any suggestions for paints to try? Thinking a pale grey?

Alea Fri 22-Jan-16 10:51:16

I think you may be looking for the colour Alan Bennett described as "Coalhouse Door" grin

f77ms Fri 22-Jan-16 10:52:11

Grey is the new cream ! I have Grey hints from B&Q and it looks really nice with white paintwork. I have 2 navy sofas which I can`t change but the grey goes well with them. I stick to neutral colour pictures and ornaments ie whites and greys . Overall very relaxing to sit in .

Bez1989 Fri 22-Jan-16 10:55:44

Weve got Egyptian Gold on our walls.
Its a great colour for accents. It reminds me of the beach. Consider all the colours one sees on golden sands. Nothing looks wrong against that lovely colour.

ecci53 Fri 22-Jan-16 10:57:39

We've used a light grey for the landing. Its called snowfall and looks lovely.

Teacher11 Fri 22-Jan-16 11:26:10

Dulux Cornflower Blue is the loveliest of pale greys. My daughter used it in her bedroom ad am planning to pinch her idea when I decorate as it is so soft and elegant. Try a match pot on the walls first.

Bez1989 Fri 22-Jan-16 11:40:23

Ive found that so much depends on how much light and the aspect of a house when trying out colours. My rule is always to buy a tester first as the lighting in stores can make a difference to the colour.

Auntieflo Fri 22-Jan-16 12:08:28

Thank you Chicklette, I have chosen Polished Pebble for one wall of our bedroom. The decorator is here as I write, and has been here since Wednesday. As he is doing practically the whole house, I am going to have to wait until after the weekend to see what it is like. I agonised over the choices, there are sooooo many, and like some I dismissed Egyptian Cotton because I thought it too 'greige' . I should have done my homework and painted match pots onto sample sheets, but was too lazy. (Knee operation was my excuse). I'll let you know what I think later. One aquaintance I spoke to told me she had done her bedroom in 50 shades of grey and I must admit that it caused me a hiccup in my choice at the time. New curtains and bedlinen all ready to go. grin

LoobyLoo33 Fri 22-Jan-16 12:10:40

Autentico have a superb colour called 'Cement' which is a gorgeous light grey colour and available in all their ranges, for walls, woodwork and furniture. The kitchen in this photo was red, and has been painted in this colour in their Versante Outdoor Matt paint which is water resistant and can be used indoors and out.

sweetmelissa9 Fri 22-Jan-16 16:36:37

I have just had my lounge done in Leyland "Ash Grey" which can be purchased by the public at good hardware stores

www.leylandtrade.com/colour

It's a lovely pale and delicate colour. I got pearl grey curtains from Dunelm and also a silver filigree lampshade. Very please with the result.

Just looking for a new carpet now....

Gilla01 Fri 22-Jan-16 16:51:53

Pale grey with something brighter as a contrast is lovely.

I had pale grey with pink, and pale grey with blue and they both worked very well.

cayuga123 Fri 22-Jan-16 17:33:05

Oh dear. I hate this obsession with grey. We live in a grey country and need soft warm colours to warm our homes. I don't like grey clothes either, other than small amounts. Am I the only one???

Penstemmon Fri 22-Jan-16 18:22:02

We have Calluna in our bedroom.. from the Farrow and Ball range. It is neutral enough to add any other dramatic colours in your bed covers/curtains/ cushions etc. smile

haddersmum Fri 22-Jan-16 19:59:21

We too have just painted lounge with Dulux polished pebble. Am very happy with it.

Jalima Fri 22-Jan-16 20:26:13

LoobyLou33 is that your kitchen in the photograph and did you paint it yourselves?

We can't afford to replace the kitchen at the moment as we are refurbishing other rooms; our doors are similar to that in a solid wood but I thought a pale paint would give it a lift, perhaps with new worktops. With the utility room, there are a lot of doors!
Any tips would be appreciated! smile

Jalima Fri 22-Jan-16 20:33:33

Am I the only one???

No cayuga123 you're not, I was just thinking that I was out of step (as usual) as we are redecorating in warm creams, looking for curtains with creams and a touch of colour to give a lift!
Hopelessly out of step with fashion but we like it.

grandmac Sat 23-Jan-16 16:24:44

A light lilac is very restful in a bedroom and goes with almost any other colour. Looks lovely with bright pink, navy or green accessories.

ajanela Sat 23-Jan-16 22:12:11

As others have said, it all depends on the light and the weather. Keep testing.

Bug180 Sat 23-Jan-16 23:14:29

Have a look at chapel stone too, a light warm grey, I used it in the hall under the dado rail with almond white above.

Brupen Sun 24-Jan-16 08:42:01

We seem to be gradually painting our whole house grey! It started with the outside and that looked so nice we did one bedroom . Now we have done the lounge in a very pale grey with two inset walls round the fireplace a slightly darker grey. It sounds as if we have overdone it but believe me everyone who visits is incredibly impressed at how lovely it all looks.
No idea about the names of the colour says I just buy the cheapest !

gettingonabit Sun 24-Jan-16 09:25:18

brupen I have a "Fifty Shades of Grey" house too.

It's such an easy colour. Everything goes with it. It's restful and the light plays around with it. It's warm and cool, sometimes all at once.

hummingbird Sun 24-Jan-16 10:28:04

I have Little Greene French Grey in our sitting room. It's really lovely, and I'm delighted with it. But I was reading in last week's paper that grey is very last year! The 'in' colour for this year is indeed green, petitpois! Not bothered myself - I'll be lucky if the room is repainted again this side of 2020 grin

Jalima Sun 24-Jan-16 10:31:49

We painted our lounge and dining room almond white many years ago; I disliked it so much we painted it again fairly soon after.

If grey is 'last year' and green is 'this year' then we must be either very old-fashioned or very futuristic grin as there is not even a drop of either in our house.

Jackanders Wed 15-Sep-21 09:49:07

Hello everyone,

I think firstly you need to decide if you want grey metallic, chroma, or grey wall paint. There are many categories of greys nowadays. In Davy's gray just a few months back, my friend painted it, and it looks amazing, but as I mentioned to you before, in the market you get suggestions based on the color scheme.

JaneJudge Wed 15-Sep-21 09:52:22

My son wanted grey so I painted it in this and it was surprisingly good and looks really nice!

midgey Wed 15-Sep-21 10:01:09

I would imagine that the OP may have selected her paint colour by now as the thread is five years old!