Gransnet forums

House and home

Seals on Double Glazing

(23 Posts)
Bobbysgirl19 Wed 26-Oct-16 18:21:40

I think the seals are going on some of my double glazed windows as I have misting and moisture between the panes. Has anyone had this and does it mean new seals, new panels, or new Windows?. Which solution did you adopt, and was it a success?
Thanks any advice, gratefully received.

tanith Wed 26-Oct-16 18:25:35

It should be fixable with new glass panels, a competent glazing firm can replace the panels rather than the whole window, I'd get a local firm to give you a quote.

ninathenana Wed 26-Oct-16 18:29:13

Yes, we have a two or three new panels fitted. Simply done in no time at all.

ninathenana Wed 26-Oct-16 18:29:59

Should that be panes ?

Ana Wed 26-Oct-16 18:31:06

Not cheap though - I need two or three replacing but keep putting it off...

tanith Wed 26-Oct-16 18:51:08

I think sealed units is the correct term and yes I agree its not a difficult job for a glazier. Cheaper than buying new windows and saves wasting time heating your home only for it to escape through broken double glazing.

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 26-Oct-16 23:07:51

Will have to get a quote from a local firm as you suggest. Now I am aware of it and have looked closer I have spotted a couple more! Oh dear that will teach me to look too closely.

GrandmaKT Wed 26-Oct-16 23:43:56

I noticed a few misted panes and as you say Bobbysgirl19, when you start looking you see more and more. When I finished checking them all there were 16! We had them all replaced a few weeks ago and it has made a big difference - I wondered why we put up with them being misted for so long. It took about 5 hours to fit them all and cost £1200, which considering one was a 7ft x 5ft patio window, I didn't think was bad.

Bobbysgirl19 Thu 27-Oct-16 00:12:28

Gosh GrandmaKT, what a good deal you had for doing so many windows. That was very good!

GrandmaMoira Thu 27-Oct-16 12:39:07

GrandmaKT - what part of the country do you live? I need one window doing badly and preferably three others. I thought it would cost much more. I'm in London so I guess it might be more.

hildajenniJ Thu 27-Oct-16 13:55:59

We got someone called "the window doctor" to come and do ours before we moved from our last house. He replaced the glass and the seals. He also put a upvc panel in our back door as my son broke the bottom piece of glass playing with the dog. His prices were pretty reasonable. This was about 15 years ago. I don't know if the franchise is still operating.

hildajenniJ Thu 27-Oct-16 13:58:55

Have just googled them. The Window Doctor seem to be all over the country. It might be worth your while asking them for a quote. I was very happy with the service.

GrandmaKT Thu 27-Oct-16 21:47:29

GrandmaMoira - we're on the North West coast. I would imagine prices are higher in London.

bluewave Mon 07-Nov-16 09:53:12

My company does new units for misted ones, based in Brighton. Direct from the factory, no middle men.

Charleygirl Mon 07-Nov-16 15:29:07

GrandmaMoira I also live in London and had one window replaced by a local firm, no problem. A couple of years later I stupidly had a large co. do the remaining ones- the job was quite expensive and I would never in a hundred years have them return. One of their fitters spent a day here re-doing some of the dreadful work. They were under the impression that I was an elderly woman living on my own and knew zilch about double glazing- wrong.

bluewave Mon 07-Nov-16 16:17:20

The big companies will always rip you off.

glammanana Mon 07-Nov-16 16:31:22

CGirl why do some of these big Companies think we ladies are a wee bit dumb when it comes to work on our properties they must think we a soft touch,when we had a quote for work a short while ago because no man was at home when the chap called to do the estimate the chap tried to blind me with science until I let slip I had worked for NHBC doing the inspections on building sites prior to different stages of the build programme,he went a subtle shade of grey when he realised I knew he was taking nonsense regarding some stages of the work.As bluewave suggests go straight to the factory and cut out the middle man and his cost.

rosesarered Mon 07-Nov-16 16:35:57

Yes,it happens from time to time and you need to replace the glass pane( it just pops out) go to any reputable double glazing contracter.

Niobe Wed 23-Nov-16 09:25:44

It is worth asking how long the guarantee is for any replacement sealed units and checking if the original ones are still under guarantee. When I was selling my last house I had six misted panels but luckily there was still 2 months of the guarantee left so I was able to get them replaced free of charge before the house went on the market.

CathyAkins Sat 31-Dec-16 05:24:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Charleygirl Sat 31-Dec-16 09:08:33

Reported

justinye Tue 09-May-17 09:20:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanaandGrampy Tue 09-May-17 09:31:20

Reported