Gransnet forums

House and home

Grease and grime on wooden cooker hood and cupboard doors

(24 Posts)
Pigglywiggly Mon 21-Nov-16 09:58:46

Has anyone any idea how I can get it off? I didn't notice it until it was really shiny and gross.
I tried asking on Mumsnet and all I got was 'Well personally I wouldn't have wooden cupboards in a kitchen' confused.
A friend gave me some stuff called Orange spray but it says it is from the US. It has been a bit better than most but the can is nearly empty.

Greyduster Mon 21-Nov-16 10:19:00

We had this problem when we moved into this house. I tried all sorts; sugar soap, abrasive cleaners, and they never really felt clean when you ran your hands over them. I do think that gas hobs exacerbate the problem. We ended up replacing the kitchen two years in.

glammanana Mon 21-Nov-16 10:24:50

If you go to Aldi/Lidl they have a similar orange based spray which is very good I can't remember the name but its in their household section,good old hot soapy water and a soft brush will bring a lot of it off and then wash down every night after finishing your cooking to stop build up.Best of luck.

Pigglywiggly Mon 21-Nov-16 10:38:36

Greyduster glad I am not the only one. The house is sdsdold and I suspect they will revamp the kitchen, as there was tastaslk of as range cooker, which would require a bigger hood, but I want to leave it as clean as I can.

Pigglywiggly Mon 21-Nov-16 10:39:37

Oh dear. House is sold. Not sure how I managed that.

Alima Mon 21-Nov-16 10:39:59

Have you tried a mixture of soda crystals and lemon juice? It really cuts through grease. Could check on a small area first to see if it affects the surface.

ninathenana Mon 21-Nov-16 12:50:00

H says warm water with lots of fairy liquid and a brillo pad. Use the brilliant in small circular movements. Then wipe off with a damp cloth.

ninathenana Mon 21-Nov-16 12:50:43

Brillo

Candlefran Mon 21-Nov-16 13:02:37

I use a 'magic sponge' on small grease marks on my wooden kitchen cupboard doors. They do the job, but of course, they must work by taking off a very fine lawyer of the surface. Tbh, Brillo pads would do the same. You can find them by googling.

Candlefran Mon 21-Nov-16 13:03:10

layer

JackyB Mon 21-Nov-16 13:39:25

Firstly, using a scraper for a ceramic hob, scrape the worst of the grease off. Do a little bit each day, it's very wearing. The blades do not damage the surface if used at the right angle.

Then using dirt eraser sponges with just water, you should be able to loosen the remaining grease.

www.amazon.co.uk/10-Magic-Eraser-Sponges-Chemical/dp/B003QITQC6/ref=pd_lpo_201_bs_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JZ1GDW6VHPRXHWM3G6VH

This will need cleaning off, if necessary with a little soapy water.

Then you can polish the wood with whatever you usually use.

LadyGracie Mon 21-Nov-16 14:12:45

Mr Muscle orange spray is excellent as is Flash Lemon, spray on a wet cloth and it just wipes off

ninathenana Mon 21-Nov-16 15:07:59

candlefran I said the same to H but as someone who is used to working with wood he says the soapy water acts as a buffer confused

Charleygirl Mon 21-Nov-16 15:12:53

I had that problem and after getting the grease off I have now glued tin foil on the areas closest to the gas hob. Not a pretty sight but I can whip them off very quickly if necessary.

Pigglywiggly Mon 21-Nov-16 15:31:24

Will look for a ceramic hob scraper.
Thanks everyone.

Nelliemoser Tue 22-Nov-16 14:42:17

Goodness me! Is someone owning up to having a messy kitchen
Shame on your sluttyness. wink grin

paddyann Tue 22-Nov-16 14:59:18

have you tried a steam cleaner ?

phoenix Tue 22-Nov-16 18:05:16

There is a Flash degreaser spray with Fairy that works well on all sorts of greasy things, we use it quite a bit. But I'm also a big fan of very hot water, a bit of general purpose detergent (Flash liquid dilutable type stuff)and a generous helping of the good old soda crystals.

grannypiper Tue 22-Nov-16 18:26:32

Try really cheap red lipstick ( surface test first) leave for an hour or so and wash with hot soapy water.

Mumsy Tue 22-Nov-16 18:35:16

Sugar soap is very effective in removing grease, most diy shops sell it.

Pigglywiggly Tue 22-Nov-16 19:26:29

Nellie it's friendly dirt wink

Nelliemoser Tue 22-Nov-16 19:44:24

Good old washing soda works. It's probably what is in most fancy cleaners anyway.

f77ms Tue 22-Nov-16 20:08:49

Scrape the worst of it off , give it a light sand and then a coat of clear varnish . Spray cleaner will not touch it .

Nanabelle Wed 23-Nov-16 00:18:12

I'm not sure about detergents on wood, but I use neat Flash for the very top of my kitchen cupboards - which are rarely cleaned so are horribly dirty/greasy (even though we don't fry very much!) then rinse with water.