Gransnet forums

House and home

North facing kitchen.

(12 Posts)
BonnieBlooming Fri 30-Dec-16 17:16:47

We have a large kitchen/diner that faces north and from Autumn to Spring gets no sunlight at all. Half of the space is taken up with cabinets in a warm cream and pale wood worktops. The room is well lit with a window, patio doors and a large skylight. For fifteen years I have had the walls painted a rich red which I loved but feel like a change this year. I am wondering if any of you are decor gurus and can advise me on a colour that will both brighten and warm the room which can be a bit cold and gloomy in the winter. Any advice welcome. I spend a lot of time in my kitchen and want to get it right.

rosesarered Fri 30-Dec-16 17:24:01

I would go for a lovely pale sunhine yellow if you lack sun! sunshine

hildajenniJ Fri 30-Dec-16 17:33:46

I grew up in a house with a north facing kitchen. My mother's choice was always to paint it pink. It always felt lovely and warm, but that was probably due to the coal fired Rayburn.☺

ninathenana Fri 30-Dec-16 18:17:21

My North facing kitchen is painted Aqua a sort of sea green. I know green is said to be a cold colour but there is not a lot of wall with the tiles and wall cupboards.
The room has never felt cold.

J52 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:29:38

Ours is bright pink. Not a colour I would have chosen, but already in the house and looks great. The units and work tops sound very similar to yours. In fact we also have a wall of French windows and a skylight! Spooky!

Charleygirl Fri 30-Dec-16 18:48:28

My north facing kitchen is a beautiful green with white gloss cupboards, a darkish grey worktop with flooring the same and dark green Venetian blinds. I do not think my kitchen looks dark.

Treebee Fri 30-Dec-16 20:25:51

Our north facing kitchen is painted peach. It's warm and pretty.

thatbags Fri 30-Dec-16 22:35:21

Terracotta and something called Nectar Jewels which is the palest orange with a warm pink tone is what I'm doing our kitchen in. Both are warm colours. Looking good so far with white doors and window frames.

Hilltopgran Fri 30-Dec-16 22:36:22

My north facing kitchen in our old cottage only has a small window and a low beamed ceiling. The light reflects well from the white ceiling, units are cream, walls are Apple White, tiles are a grey/green and tops are Pewter grey as are handles. It never feels dark, but is nice and cool on a hot day. I do have jars, mugs etc on display which compliment the green and add colour.

merlotgran Fri 30-Dec-16 22:40:13

Our last kitchen was north facing. I painted everything milky white (Dulux Jasmine White) including the cupboard doors and black beams. The tiles were Delft blue and white.

Beammeupscottie Fri 30-Dec-16 22:52:46

I have a north facing living room which is painted in Fired Earth Sienna Earth. this is a warm yellow ochre which I highly recommend.

Jalima Fri 30-Dec-16 23:07:09

Ours doesn't face north, but we have a very pale terracotta on the walls; I can't give the name as we mixed it up ourselves from a mixture of barley white and some tester pots of terracotta - it seems to work well!