Gransnet forums

House and home

Reclining chairs.

(13 Posts)
annsixty Sat 07-Jan-17 13:56:24

In my dotage I have a fancy for a reclining chair.I find I am needing to "rest my eyes" after lunch but can't get comfortable.
I do not fancy the large electrically operated ones but something stylish. Has anyone got a Stressless or similar?
Are they comfortable?
Advice would be much appreciated.

Jane10 Sat 07-Jan-17 14:01:24

I just adore my Stressless recliner and its angled footstool. We sat down in them once when out shopping and there and then bought one each! Can't recommend them enough. We've also got the matching sofa. I'm sitting on it now with my feet up on the stool so am in an ideal ergonomic position.
They're not so bulky as those big electric ones and look lighter somehow.
PS I'm not getting any commission from Stressless!!

annsixty Sat 07-Jan-17 14:14:40

Thank you Jane for swift reply. I do like the look of them and will go and try now. I am very short in the leg department and I think they have different seat lengths.

Greyduster Sat 07-Jan-17 14:52:53

We visited my niece just before Christmas and her husband has a Stressless recliner. DH sat in it and I thought I was going to have to prise him out with a crowbar, he was so taken with it! We have a Parker Knoll Norton three positional recliner which we have had for some thirty six years. It has been reupholstered once but it is still has the original mechanism and is giving sterling service. It doesn't fit in with any of the other furniture we have and has been relegated to the conservatory, but when my back is playing me up, or I'm really tired, it is my best friend in all the world! They don't make them anymore, and I was talking to an upholsterer who told me that the mechanisms for most reclining furniture now come from China and they are not very good. If you can afford a Stressless, I'd go for it.

Jane10 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:01:00

We got a very good deal on our Stresslesses. Actually annsixty you deserve a real treat anyway these days. Spend whatever it takes. You really are worth it. (Mind you, your DH might try to annexe it!) Ours are leather to avoid cat hairs. Baz doesn't fancy sleeping on them!

CassieJ Sat 07-Jan-17 15:26:49

I love my Stressless chair and its footstool! No one else is allowed on it smile Mine is now very old, around 30 years old, but it is as good as new and still showing no signs of wear. It goes to show that they are well worth the money.

annsixty Sat 07-Jan-17 15:29:26

Well we don't go out and we don't do holidays so a treat is in order. Thank you.

hulahoop Sat 07-Jan-17 15:48:50

I have electric recliner love mine oh fancies a. stress less spoil yourself and get one

Izabella Sat 07-Jan-17 17:06:55

Another fan of stressless here too. Love them to bits. They come in three sizes and we have the smallest ( we are slim) wonderful for an afternoon snooze.

grannypiper Sat 07-Jan-17 17:35:41

I would love one but would feel so bad as DH has had a hip replacement and his ortho surgeon has told him he cant use them.

jusnoneed Sat 07-Jan-17 17:52:25

My Dad has an electric recliner, bought it about two years ago,after having used an ordinary reclining chair for years. He loves it and makes it much easier for him to get up, he has had two hip replacements and finds low seats very difficult, the extra height he gets from the chair going up above the usual level helps a lot.

Lazigirl Sat 07-Jan-17 18:20:01

We have had our Stressless chairs & footstools for 20 years, still in good condition and DH always has a post prandial snooze after lunch in his. He is shortly to have hip replacement and will be very upset if he can't use it again. Is it just for several weeks post op DH advised not to use it grannypiper? A friend of mine who has had a spine op has Stressless chairs and settee as she finds these are the most comfortable and align her spine correctly. It's probably obvious but you do need to ensure the space behind allows for reclining otherwise you hit the wall, particularly with sofa.

Mumsy Sat 07-Jan-17 18:22:05

My daughter has a couple and they are very comfy but I find the chairs too low to get in and out of.