Gransnet forums

House and home

Tricky neighbour?

(17 Posts)
Azie09 Tue 10-Jan-17 18:11:56

You are all WONDERFUL!! Thank you very much for the feedback.
smile flowers

Ana Tue 10-Jan-17 17:16:05

But I think problems with neighbours only have to be disclosed if they've been quite serious, involving other parties and possibly Court cases.

A few nosy or bossy comments wouldn't have to be revealed.

Jalima Tue 10-Jan-17 17:12:29

Yes, problems with neighbours have to be disclosed now I think - however they are the neighbours. Perhaps the landlord has never lived there himself and only had intermittent contact with him.

I think I would be looking elsewhere, he could make your lives a misery.

Christinefrance Tue 10-Jan-17 16:52:07

Definitely give it a miss. It sounds like these problems will only escalate and your life could be made very difficult.
Don't really know how you go about avoiding neighbours from hell if you buy a house. Talking to others in the area maybe, obviously the vendor is not going to say anything. Am I right in thinking that any serious problems have to be disclosed ? it's a long time since I bought a house in the UK.

Takingthemick Tue 10-Jan-17 16:35:43

Do not buy that house. You are in a brilliant position with nothing to sell, every estate agents dream. Have a look on rightmove and zoopla, make appointments, look at property that suits your lifestyle and gets you excited. Then make a cheeky offer. Good luck, go for it.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Jan-17 16:29:02

It would put me off, totally
Nothing worse than being told what to do, except if its in your own blooming home, and by a busybody!

tiggypiro Tue 10-Jan-17 16:14:43

I have had a rotten neighbour in the past and would never knowingly have another. As others have said don't touch it with a barge pole. The complaints and odd behaviour will only escalate. The landlord who is trying to sell it to you is not going to say he has had problems but by law he must declare them if he is selling. Maybe other tenants have said nothing but been quick to leave.

Jayanna9040 Tue 10-Jan-17 15:30:59

You have too many doubts about this house, if your other thread is anything to go by too. Maybe the landlord is pressurising you because he knows it will be difficult to sell and you are sitting ducks! Most people wouldn't even go through the door with a car minus wheels out the front. If you buy you won't sell again while he's there.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 10-Jan-17 15:28:13

That all rings alarm bells for me! I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, he sounds like Trouble (with a capital T!) to me! Sorry.

Indinana Tue 10-Jan-17 15:20:11

I'd be very wary - neighbours can make or break your home life. We were on edge when our elderly neighbour went into a home some years ago. She lived on her own, and we rarely heard her. She was lovely, a really good neighbour to have next door.
The house was eventually bought by a middle aged couple with three teenagers and our hearts sank, envisaging lots of noise, rowdy parties when the parents were away. But they have all been lovely - quiet, considerate, and so friendly.
If i were you I would do some research, speak to other neighbours first. Your landlord may not be entirely truthful if he wants an easy, quick sale!

tanith Tue 10-Jan-17 15:19:21

I agree with the others steer clear of buying and look elsewhere.

rosesarered Tue 10-Jan-17 15:16:46

Me too! as you know in advance about this neighbour don't buy next door to him.The fact that he keeps a car up on bricks and tells you off if you are an inch over an alloted space should be enough, yet he is a nosy parker as well.Steer clear.The landlord will tell you that everything is fine, because he wants to sell.

Greyduster Tue 10-Jan-17 15:13:39

Run for the hills and don't turn round! Been there and almost had a nervous breakdown. Little old lady; butter wouldn't melt? You wouldn't have believed it. If you have doubts that should say it all.

Ana Tue 10-Jan-17 15:10:04

Did you start a thread recently about whether you should move somewhere more friendly or buy the house you're renting, Azie09?

What an awful position to be in, with the landlord pressurising you to buy and the neighbour making a nuisance of himself...I'd be looking at other properties straight away!

sunseeker Tue 10-Jan-17 14:57:46

Not a chance. Speak to the other neighbours and see if he has upset them, this kind of behaviour only escalates.

Luckygirl Tue 10-Jan-17 14:55:51

How old is he? Any chance he might shuffle off soon? grin

Seriously though, there is nothing worse than neighbour problems - it can be a huge stress.

Azie09 Tue 10-Jan-17 14:41:25

So, if you were renting a house and thinking of buying it, would you be put off by the following:

a divorced neighbour on his own who is clearly rather fussy. He complained about us being over the edge in our shared, adjacent parking place and said we had marked his van (not true).

He has gone out of his way several times to tell us stories about the garden as it was when the landlord lived here. He said it was filled with trees which took his light and climbers which grew next to the fence and how he cut them all down when the landlord was out one day and threw the cuttings back over the fence which caused 'a right row'.

He has repeated various stories about students who lived here who, he claimed, were using an air rifle to shoot from the house into the garden and he banged on the door and gave them a right talking to. He also complained about them playing loud music and parking everywhere (probably to be fair this is what often happens when you live near students).

He complains about his neighbours on the other side who 'go on holiday all the time'. We were away over Christmas and he rushed up to my husband the other day to complain that now we were doing that too and 'oh, btw, did you really go away on holiday and leave your central heating on all the time?' Presumably he saw the exhaust from the condensing boiler exiting into the garden.

He keeps his somewhat bare garden mown to the cm. I like gardening and intend to plant and cultivate the garden here, if we buy the house. This guy has a bustling, verbose nature and I am worried that he is going to be a problem. He goes track racing and in addition to his van keeps a car, minus wheels, up on bricks in his drive!! We don't actually see him that often though.

We've asked the landlord about any history of rows and he claims there has been nothing. My question is, on the basis of what I've said, would buying this house be a 'no way' for you?