Gransnet forums

House and home

Upstairs loo

(17 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 19-Jan-17 21:00:02

I want to have an en suite shower and loo put in my bedroom as the bathroom is downstairs. This would leave me with a single bedroom with 3 alcoves. There's another double bedroom but too far from water and drains.
Would the advantage of an upstairs loo (which I Need) be offset by the disadvantage of a small, awkwardly shaped second bedroom, in terms of the value of my house?

Ana Thu 19-Jan-17 21:02:24

Discuss! Don't think I'll join in this time smile

aggie Thu 19-Jan-17 21:06:11

the gp can refer you to the distrit nurse who can supply you with a commode smile much cheaper anc no change to your room smile

cornergran Thu 19-Jan-17 21:32:30

I think I'd ask an estate agent for an opinion but if I wanted to stay in my home and needed that upstairs toilet I think I would do it and if necessary accept a price devaluation.

J52 Thu 19-Jan-17 22:21:08

I'd invite an architect to come and give you some ideas. They are trained to look at house design and layout from a different perspective. There may be a way of getting an en suite without sacfricing too much space. They can be very compact, but contain everything needed. Think of boat cabins!

We have one made from a small cupboard and a bit of stairwell!

MissAdventure Thu 19-Jan-17 22:22:33

I agree with cornergran.
If I liked living there, I would do what was necessary for me to be comfortable.

J52 Thu 19-Jan-17 22:25:01

BTW, an Architect's initial visit will be free!

hildajenniJ Thu 19-Jan-17 22:26:28

Is there any way you can create a bedroom downstairs instead? This would be easier to change back if you needed to sell your house.

M0nica Fri 20-Jan-17 10:05:38

On Location x 3 this week, a couple turned down a house they otherwise really liked because there was no upstairs loo. I have seen this happen a number of times on that programme and others.

One of the reasons we were able to buy the house we have was because 3 of the 5 1st floor bedrooms only had access to a downstairs bathroom (and it had a small kitchen), which meant it had hung on the market for over six months and seen the price reduced twice. We saw the solution; turned a bedroom into a bathroom and incorporated the downstairs bathroom into the kitchen and now have a much more saleable property.

I think if a house has two good bedrooms, a slightly awkward third bedroom is unlikely to be as big a handicap when selling compared with having no upstairs loo.

LadyGracie Fri 20-Jan-17 12:07:08

I would do whatever you need for your comfort unless you're planning to move in the near future

goldengirl Fri 20-Jan-17 12:09:47

Upstairs AND a downstairs loo every time! Especially if you have to get up in the night. Trogging down the stairs would not appeal - and with 2 cats it would be highly dangerous methinks.
Getting opinions from an architect and estate agents is a good idea but I certainly wouldn't purchase a 3 bed house with no upstairs loo but I might consider a 2 bed with an upstairs loo. A 21st century necessity for me!

watermeadow Fri 20-Jan-17 20:45:31

Thanks for constructive suggestions. I only have two bedrooms, the bathroom was added onto the end of the house and it's listed so can't be built over to give an upstairs bathroom. I hope I can fit a wee (!) little shower room and loo into my bedroom.
Hope I shan't need a commode before I'm 100.

BBbevan Fri 20-Jan-17 21:09:19

Please don't contemplate a macerator. They make the most horrendous noise and block frequently. My DS had one in his first house. Never again

goldengirl Sat 21-Jan-17 10:14:45

I agree BBbevan. A friend had one and has had problems. There are some very imaginative / design minded plumbers / installers around who will probably have useful ideas. Also there are toilets available with a wash basin on top of the cistern bit which saves space on having a separate basin. They look quite stylish.

Teetime Sat 21-Jan-17 10:48:58

J52 has given very good advice here get a professional opinion from an architect rather than an estate agent or builder/plumber. I would just say you need to live and enjoy your house now so make it how you want it especially if you intend to stay there.

varian Sat 21-Jan-17 16:21:23

If your house is listed that does not mean you cannot extend it by building over the ground floor bathroom. It only means that you will need Listed Building Consent. You could call the local planning department and ask whether a conservation officer will advise you.

I agree with J52 and teetime that you should consult an architect. If you google ARB you can check whether someone claiming to be an architect is on the Architects Register, which means that they have completed the seven year training. It is illegal for someone whose name is not on the register to call themselves an architect but sadly many unqualified people get away with it.

M0nica Sat 21-Jan-17 17:56:13

We live in a listed house and have made a number of changes over the years and are currently seeking approval for an extension. We are in a row of four listed buildings that are enough of a sight for our local museum to use an enlarged photograph of them to cover a whole wall as a backdrop to other exhibits.

Three of us have or are extending our houses, with all the proper consents. Work with an architect who understands what the planning authorities will or will not allow and consult your Conservation Officer from day 1. There will be some things you cannot do, but be flexible and co-operative and you can usually find a solution to your problem one way or another.