Gransnet forums

House and home

GN is responsible for me buying....

(95 Posts)
Anya Sun 29-Jan-17 14:41:10

My Dyson V6 animal, my new yoghurt maker from Lakeland, my Whizzer (recommended by Ana) from Amazon, my RFID wallet, a chain to keep my purse safe from pick-.pockets, my present Krups coffee machine, numerous spices (low carb thread), my previous car (Nissan Qashqai - Kitty?), my eyebrow powder (had never heard of this before), new denim jeans (John Rocha), crazy Rock 'n Chalk hair colours (pink, purple, green and blue) and ....I could go on and on.

Is it just me? Or have others thought 'that sounds a good idea!' hmm

Misha14 Wed 01-Feb-17 06:47:58

Thank you Nelliemoser for the recommendation. Will investigate further.

Anya Tue 31-Jan-17 23:03:12

Thanks again Elegran

Nice garden shysal - well trimmed hedges. Do they do robot headgear-trimmers yet, I wonder?

shysal Tue 31-Jan-17 21:25:14

Thank you for the link Elegran. My lawn fails on all counts, incline and width. I shall just have to continue using my hover Flymo dangling down the hill and wearing crampons! Thanks for taking the time to look on the website to make yourself look clever!! (joke) grin

Lewlew Tue 31-Jan-17 17:49:18

shysal LOL...thanks for that. Will try one next to my Illumibowl 'installation'. Skid marks... grin

Elegran Tue 31-Jan-17 17:44:50

Have a look on their site, shysal. www.flymo.com/uk/lawn-mowers/robotic/1200r/ there are Frequently Asked Questions, including a section on Suitable Gardens at www.flymo.com/uk/faq/robotic-lawnmower/suitable-gardens/
Could you send the photo to them and ask their opinion?

It says "Lawn area size: maximum 400m² +-20% Inclination inside the working area: maximum 25% Narrow passage: minimum 150 cm (wall to wall)". I can't tell what the slope is from your picture. It looks as though your grass has some narrow bits, which you would have to make 150 cm wide to let it get through from one part to another. it could be fiddly to set up, but you wouldn't have to push a mower up and down those slopes and round tight corners.

shysal Tue 31-Jan-17 16:50:53

Elegran,do you think a robot mower would cope with my garden? I absolutely hate cutting the grass! I have visions of the thing toppling over on the slope, and there are many obstacles, which would make setting up difficult I suspect.

Elegran Tue 31-Jan-17 15:41:44

Yes, it will keep him out of mischief for hours, and even after he has set it up he can spend hours just watching it out of the windew. The random turns have a mesmerising effect.

There are videos showing how to do all the setting up - but they do seem to have chosen a perfectly smooth flat lawn for the videos with easy power connection and no tricky features. There is a 12volt cable left exposed from the charging station to the power point, which I had to cover with bricks to keep off inquisitive wildlife.

Elegran Tue 31-Jan-17 15:37:37

I only know about the one I bought - and I chose that because it was the cheapest. It is a Fymo 1200 R.

Anya Tue 31-Jan-17 15:28:49

What make would you recommend Elegran?

Anya Tue 31-Jan-17 14:55:15

Thanks Elegran wonder if DH would like one for his birthday it would keep him occupied for hours trying to figure it out hmm

shysal Tue 31-Jan-17 14:40:03

grin

shysal Tue 31-Jan-17 14:39:05

{grin]You nearly had a buyer there, till I read on to the end!

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-17 13:31:08

A VIBROPOWER DISC VIBRATION PLATE!....its fabulous, went from size 18 to 12 in a matter of weeks.....only joking....but I do have one for sale on ebay (make of that what you will lol).

shysal Tue 31-Jan-17 13:01:37

Lewlew, the Loogun is not for limescale, only for 'skid marks'. I live in a hard water area (Thames Water) and have no problems as I use a Harpic bleach rim block (the white version). I have seen neighbours' toilets encrusted with limescale.

Lewlew Tue 31-Jan-17 12:03:03

LOOGUN... but how do you scrub the limescale away? We have terrible hard water here. Limescale settles in the bottom where solids pass and I have to put harpic in it almost every other day. The pan above the water line does not seem to get stained or anything, it's all underwater. If I miss a couple of days, even with NO solids going down, it still gets off colour on the cermamic from urine. Harpic extra power (an sometimes I add bleach and run out of the loo before the fumes rise) and a good scrubbing is the only way to have a 'white bottom' shock

Looks nice, though! confused

Elegran Tue 31-Jan-17 10:52:09

Yes, Anya Mine (Flymo) works very well. I like it in spite of a few minuses. Not having to think about grtass-cutting is very liberating.

Pros - It can be programmed to work on whichever days of the week and whichever hours you want, even at night if you like, or in the rain (though too much of that is not very good for the grass) Once it is set up you don't need to do anything. It has adjustable cutting heights. The cuttings are so small that it just drops them as mulch, so no collecting them up. It is fascinating to watch it criss-crossing the grass, doing random turns when it reaches the boundaries so that it doesn't have a predictable path. It cuts evenly, little and often, so the grass always looks OK.

Cons - It has to be set up. This involves plugging in a connection to the charging station, which is fixed at the edge of the grass, then laying a boundary wire right round the lawn a few inches in from the edge of the grass, either pegged down flat or buried in a slot a few inches deep, then addig another wire across the centre of the lawn from the charging station to the far side and joining it to the boundary wire. This takes a bit of effort, and (at least with the Flymo) you install it yourself, or get someone to do it. The power line to mine goes through a hole drilled through the wall into the cellar, where there is an indoor power point, but you might have to have an external power point added. You don't get stripes across the lawn from a regular path.

At first, I pegged down the boundary wire, but some pesky animal chewed through it at several points so i had to start again. It was probably the family of the vole/shrew/fieldmouse whose little burrow I found in the grass! Apparently they like the plastic covering. I then cut a slot with a lawn edger to bury the wire in.

Nelliemoser Tue 31-Jan-17 10:03:20

Misha14 I have an old model Vax carpet washing machine which is over 30ys old.
It is likely to become obsolete soon as you cannot get now get the parts but it does do an excellent job.

The more modern versions are more streamlined and convenient to use. I would recommend the Vax.

Anya Tue 31-Jan-17 10:00:28

Do the robot lawn mowers work Elegran?

Elegran Tue 31-Jan-17 09:57:34

Oooh yes, and a robot lawn mower as well!

Anya Tue 31-Jan-17 09:26:29

I remember recommending my Roomba. Did anyone else get one and what do you think of it?

shysal Tue 31-Jan-17 08:40:53

Oh yes! I bought a Loogun. They are modifying it to iron out the problems I experience with it. I do like it though, and so do the GCs! Makes a good water pistol!

Auntieflo Tue 31-Jan-17 08:26:10

Remember the Loogun?

barb666 Tue 31-Jan-17 00:00:31

Oh dear, now look what's happened........ I've gone and bought a Karcher window vac for my conservatory windows!!

Chewbacca Mon 30-Jan-17 22:17:30

Ooh yes, I see what you mean! I definitely want need an onion comb. Next!

yogagran Mon 30-Jan-17 20:54:33

An Amazon search for "Onion holder" will show you Chewbacca