Gransnet forums

House and home

Making tea in my bedroom

(65 Posts)
anneey Tue 07-Feb-17 20:43:49

I have just bought a travel kettle, with the intention of making tea in my bedroom....... My problem is that I dont have mains water upstairs. Is it unhealthy to use water from the tank and boil well?
I don't relish the thought of carrying fresh water upstairs every night. Especially as I might not want tea. Depends on my mood?
Any ideas Please?

Willow500 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:53:55

I'm another who never drinks in bed other than sips from a bottle of water during the night. I'm always up around 5am anyway. When we had the kitchen done before Christmas I brought the coffee maker, the kettle, food and cat food into the living room so that I would be able to carry on as near normal grin My mum had a teas maid in her bedroom - as they lived in a bungalow I never understood the reason!

rosesarered Fri 17-Feb-17 21:04:10

When we bought our present house we had all the central heating changed and boiler, changed to a combi boiler ( water comes from mains.) I won't tell you what was in the old water tank in the loft ugh! So, please don't drink from your bathroom tap!

suzied Fri 17-Feb-17 17:56:25

A friend of mine was saying they have a nesspresso coffee machine that they can work from their phone , so they can tell it to make a coffee while they are in bed and then go down and get it when it's ready.

anneey Fri 17-Feb-17 17:51:00

Solved my water problem. Sainsbury's 2ltr mineral water is only 20p. I ordered 2 with my online grocery order. That should do the trick.

Jalima Thu 09-Feb-17 13:06:07

There used to be random stories about dead animals in water tanks and such.
That happened with friends of ours in a house they rented; they were very ill then discovered a dead bird in the water tank in the attic.

M0nica Thu 09-Feb-17 12:48:41

I like a hot drink before I go to bed, rather than wen I wake. I just make the drink in the kitchen and carry it upstairs.

grandMattie Thu 09-Feb-17 12:47:51

or reading, if he's asleep for that matter...

grandMattie Thu 09-Feb-17 12:47:32

DH _loathes+ me drinking anything in bed. As I wake up long/hours before him, i am usually to be found downstairs with my cuppa.... so river you are not alone!

anneey Thu 09-Feb-17 10:31:09

Riverwalk, I would have agreed with you a couple of years ago.
Now I am older and frail.......It is such a comfort to make tea in my bedroom. Especially if I am awake in the night and the heating is off. (I have a seperate heater in my bedroom) Maybe when the good weather finally arrives I will feel differently. I have to admit it is a FAFF.

MyTeaMo Thu 09-Feb-17 09:50:00

Need boiling water to make tea, not just hot.

Alima Thu 09-Feb-17 09:32:27

Riverwalk, no you are not alone. When I wake up in the morning my first thought is bathroom. Then to stagger downstairs to make coffee. I am in awe of those of you who can wake then enjoy a cup of tea before anything else. (Not envious though. Hate tea.)

Riverwalk Thu 09-Feb-17 08:49:25

Am I the only person who doesn't eat and drink in bed? shock

Craftycat Thu 09-Feb-17 08:16:00

We have a teasmade.Love my 2 cups of tea before I get up. However I once forgot to fill pot before I came upstairs at night & used water from bathroom. Tea was undrinkable- really nasty . I really don't advise using it.

allule Thu 09-Feb-17 07:43:37

I used to make tea in the bedroom, and wondered why I had stopped, as it worked well. I realise it was because we got two cats. I have to go downstairs to see to them, and I make our tea at the same time. Then we all go back to bed.

f77ms Thu 09-Feb-17 06:59:40

Sarah there is always the problem of forgetting to take milk up the night before or the milk tasting `off` when you have remembered .

f77ms Thu 09-Feb-17 06:55:40

This is new to me ! why can`t you use the water from the upstairs tap ? I really have never heard that this is not safe to do ,and anyway surely if it is boiled it is OK ?

grannypiper Thu 09-Feb-17 06:15:36

Cold water in the bathroom comes from a header tank in the loft and is not fresh, the tank is not completely sealed in most cases therefore will contain dust, dirt etc It is fine for brushng your teeth but not drinking. You wouldnt use water that had been sat in your kettle for days on end so why use stale water from the bathroom ? tea needs fresh water

allule Wed 08-Feb-17 23:26:07

Try turning off the stopcock, then turning on the upstairs tap. If it still runs, the water must come from a tank; if it stops immediately it will be direct from the main and fine to use.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 08-Feb-17 22:34:17

aneey.Is it not possible to still buy a 'teasmade'that you can keep in your bedroom .?
For me,one of the delights in my life would be a first thing in the morning cup of tea without having to get out of bed to boil a kettle.
That or having a partner bring you a freshly made cuppa while you are nice and snug in bed.?
Well I can dream can't I?

NanKate Wed 08-Feb-17 21:52:23

I love early morning when all is quiet. I creep downstairs at 6.30 to make myself a cuppa and put it in a thermal style mug which keeps it warm. I top up the hot water bottle and snuggle down in bed with my radio and headphones, IPad and book. DH usually wakes at 7.30 to 8.00 and I have had about an hour and a half of peace and quiet - BLISS brew

hulahoop Wed 08-Feb-17 21:41:17

I drink water from upstairs because it comes direct from main water so is same as downstairs old water. The only water what comes from tank in loft is hot which for obvious reasons I wouldn't drink ?

amt101 Wed 08-Feb-17 21:36:48

I have a four story house so have a tray with a kettle and packets of coffee and milk. I fill the kettle from my bathroom tap and never have any problem - I think the rats and pigeons add flavour to the coffee?

thatbags Wed 08-Feb-17 20:26:24

suzied, I like your suggestion smile. It's what I do except it's flapjacks (2) instead of toast.

GrandmaMoira Wed 08-Feb-17 20:26:02

I've had a kettle in my bedroom for morning tea for a long time. I always use the bathroom tap water as I know it's from the mains. I have a small fridge so keep the milk in there. This started when my husband was ill and needed a "bedsit" set up in his sick room and after he died I found it convenient. It saved me time getting ready for work and now I'm retired I enjoy a cuppa in bed. I wouldn't advise a travel kettle though as they are very slow to boil.

jacq10 Wed 08-Feb-17 20:16:28

Although boiled water is obviously safe I would be using a flask but would keep my eyes open in charity shops and at car boots for a Teasmade. They can be picked up very cheaply and do the trick nicely!!