Gransnet forums

House and home

Good, cheap conveyancer needed URGENTLY! Suggestions, please?

(10 Posts)
wilygran Thu 23-Feb-17 10:35:15

Even with getting 3 quotes which is essential, conveyancing takes time..I experienced 3 months even with no complications Please dont rush into anything. Would it be possible to rent?

Newquay Thu 23-Feb-17 09:52:08

I agree with J52-get 3 quotes, not necessarily from EAs either. Do you know anyone there who could recommend anyone? It WILL take time to do all the necessary work, searches etc-about 12 weeks. Hope it all works out for you all especially the children.

Iam64 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:49:44

Best of luck NanaRayna, I hope it all works out for you and that the children can liv with you before too long.
Are they together in a foster placement. It's so difficult to find such places for children of 15 but they do exist. Hopefully you'll be seeing them regularly and taking them out for days at the weekend

ninathenana Wed 22-Feb-17 11:42:08

I hope it all works out for you.

NanaRayna Wed 22-Feb-17 10:50:10

Thank you very much for your replies and suggestions. The local authority initially asked if I could have the children here, but I have been living with my hoarder boyfriend in his tiny home and there was no bedspace. The only time the children had stayed here they had to share the double bed and we slept on the floor downstairs. As the kids are 15 and 7, and different genders, this would not have been acceptable for more than an emergency overnighter. Hence the house buying hurry.
I'm aware that even with a suitable house, I may not pass the assessment. But in that case, I'll just have to sell on. The house needs a lot of work, but I shouldn't lose too much on it. And I might just get to keep the family together if I pass the assessments...

Teetime Wed 22-Feb-17 09:08:58

We used an on line company called Shoesmith who were very good.

J52 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:01:48

Sorry to hear of your situation. However, I would advise getting three quotes from local solicitors. They usually provide itemised quotes setting out their fees and the obligatory fees you have to pay, such as local search and stamp duty.

Be ware of on line conveyancing, it is cheap, but friends of mine got into difficulties after a purchase because the on line conveyancer didn't have local knowledge and an important fact was buried in small print and not highlighted.

As with most things, it is a situation where you tend to get what you pay for. I hope it all goes to plan.

Riverwalk Wed 22-Feb-17 08:19:44

Sorry to hear about your grandchildren - I hope it all works out for you and them in the future.

Now, don't be rushed with this house - vendors always want things quickly, it doesn't always work that way! No matter how on the ball a solicitor is there are still surveys, searches, exchanges, etc to do.

You could ring some local trusted estate agents and ask for recommendations.

Iam64 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:17:32

Use Google to find good, fairly cheap conveyancing solicitor NanaRayna.
Are you being assessed as a carer for your grandchildren? Be wary of buying a house if it's unlikely you are going to be approved. I'd look for a good child care solicitor if you don't have one.
Local Authorities are under a duty to place children with relatives rather than foster carers - it's the first port of call. If the LA hasn't done this, I'd suggest you get legal advice on family law asap.

NanaRayna Wed 22-Feb-17 08:04:25

My grandchildren have very recently been removed into council care and are unlikely to ever live at home again.
Wanting to give them a settled home with me, I'm trying to buy a home near their schools (very important for their stability at this distressing time) and have had an offer accepted on a local place - but only if I can get the sale processed quickly!
I don't know of any conveyancing solicitors around here. Although, presumably they don't have to be local as when we sold up in Kent it was via a conveyancer in Wales. The house is in the London Borough of Havering (Essex borders).
Do any of you know of a good, and fairly cheap conveyancing solicitor? (My funds are very limited)
Many thanks for your help!