Gransnet forums

House and home

Woodworm or powderpost beetle in newish wardrobe

(2 Posts)
Washerwoman Sun 05-Mar-17 19:10:54

Seeking some reassurance or advice.After 30 years of a mish mash of acquired furniture in various houses we moved two and a half years ago and love our new home.We treated ourselves to all new furniture,choosing some bespoke pieces for the living/dining area and our bedroom,but for the two spare bedrooms decided Oak Furniture Land pieces -in one of their never ending sales - would be fine.
The other day in one of the wardrobes which I keep overflow clothes ,and so don't use daily I noticed some white powdery residue on the floor of it.I was clueless and wondered if it was something to do with moths and wiped it out with a mild bleach solution.However today more has appeared,and I have also found several tiny holes.Then in the drawer below I found two very small beetles.One dead.One very alive. On googling we have identified them as powder post beetles.I'm horrified, and on reading it says it can be 2/5 years of eggs in the wood for conditions to be right for larvae to develop and hatch leaving the tiny exit holes.
So I can't help feeling this infestation was in situ when we bought the furniture. We have completely refurbished and redecorated and have seen no other signs of woodworm,or wood beetle activity.We bought 2 double beds,.another wardrobe and 2 bedside tables ,plus a large desk and console table at the same time .And I'm now looking at our lovely bedrooms anew imagining beetles running riot!
Has anyone else had or heard of a similar experience. I will ring a pest control company in the morning for advice,and DH says he will contact OFL but I'm pretty certain we won't get much joy from them.

Washerwoman Sun 05-Mar-17 19:13:06

Sorry .double posted for some reason !