Gransnet forums

House and home

Woodworm or powderpost beetle in newish wardrobe

(6 Posts)
Washerwoman Sun 05-Mar-17 19:11:42

Seeking some reassurance or advice.After 30 years of a mish mash of acquired furniture in various houses we moved two and a half years ago and love our new home.We treated ourselves to all new furniture,choosing some bespoke pieces for the living/dining area and our bedroom,but for the two spare bedrooms decided Oak Furniture Land pieces -in one of their never ending sales - would be fine.
The other day in one of the wardrobes which I keep overflow clothes ,and so don't use daily I noticed some white powdery residue on the floor of it.I was clueless and wondered if it was something to do with moths and wiped it out with a mild bleach solution.However today more has appeared,and I have also found several tiny holes.Then in the drawer below I found two very small beetles.One dead.One very alive. On googling we have identified them as powder post beetles.I'm horrified, and on reading it says it can be 2/5 years of eggs in the wood for conditions to be right for larvae to develop and hatch leaving the tiny exit holes.
So I can't help feeling this infestation was in situ when we bought the furniture. We have completely refurbished and redecorated and have seen no other signs of woodworm,or wood beetle activity.We bought 2 double beds,.another wardrobe and 2 bedside tables ,plus a large desk and console table at the same time .And I'm now looking at our lovely bedrooms anew imagining beetles running riot!
Has anyone else had or heard of a similar experience. I will ring a pest control company in the morning for advice,and DH says he will contact OFL but I'm pretty certain we won't get much joy from them.

granfromafar Mon 06-Mar-17 16:31:42

Haven't had anything similar but I would suggest contacting OFL customer services and see what they say. They can't deny that the pests are present and may actually be quite helpful. What did the pest control company advise?

Ana Mon 06-Mar-17 16:52:25

Yes, do contact OFL.

They should offer to replace the wardrobe or give you your money back - they wouldn't want any bad publicity about their furniture, would they?

Washerwoman Mon 06-Mar-17 18:41:45

Thanks for the replies.OFL have told us to email photos of the holes,beetle and the manufacturers label and they will replace with a new one.TBH I was probably overly pessimistic yesterday about their response ,but I'd heard others experience with their customer services was not a happy one.And was panicking about being overun with beetles!Their readiness to sort it so promptly after 2+ years makes me wonder if this is a problem they are dealing with regularly ,and yes it wouldn't be good publicity for them.

Claudiaclaws Mon 06-Mar-17 18:46:14

Hi I would say that this is woodworm. The beetles are at the flying stage.You need to buy some woodworm killer which you squeeze into the holes.ASAP also don't breathe it in.
I'm sure you are going to get in touch with the seller, but at the same time treat it yourselves, don't wait for them whilst negotiating anything. The last thing you want is the beetles flying to other furniture and laying eggs.
I hope this is of some help.

Washerwoman Mon 13-Mar-17 19:52:44

Thanks Claudia.The wardrobe has been taken away and replaced with a new one.No quibbles.But when the top part was removed from the base there were several more dead beetles plus the powdery frass.We've been told it's highly unlikely to have spread to other items.Apparently it's unlikely for them to lay eggs in waxed wood or varnished wood. I only hope so,but I will be obsessively checking the other pieces of furniture for months to come,and last night was dreaming of bottles. Yuk!