Gransnet forums

House and home

cooker repair

(5 Posts)
tiffaney Wed 22-Mar-17 20:42:17

I've just had my cooker repaired as the grill element needed replacing. I contacted a local firm, the one of two who had the best reviews. Two youngish men came out to have a look and charged me £45 to tell me what l already knew, that the grill element needed replacing. A very polite young lady then phoned with a quote of £82 (£34 for fitting & £48 for the part). I have since found the same part priced at £35.99 on ebay. Today a different man came out and fitted the element. It took him 5 minutes. The job had been done, l now have a cooker with a working grill. So why am l feeling slightly ripped off?

tiggypiro Wed 22-Mar-17 22:18:08

Gosh that makes me so pleased with my electrician. My 40yr old ceramic hob tripped the trip switch and he came out to see what was to do. It had got some water in one of the switches after I had let a pan boil over (not sure how it got past the rubber seals though). He disconnected it and I was left to dry it out with my hair dryer. A few days later he came back, tested it and put it back and I was back in action. My bill was £20.

Alima Thu 23-Mar-17 06:55:53

We learnt the hard way. A couple of years ago the clip thingy on the oven door broke meaning the door wouldn't stay shut. (For a while we worked around this and propped it shut). We contacted an oven repair person who turned up, replaced the clip and charged us over £80. We have since looked up on Google, sourced the clip thingy which costs £11.65 incl. vat and will be ready next time. All the answers are on You Tube and Google and will save a fortune.

Welshwife Thu 23-Mar-17 08:02:55

Out here in France I had the thermal coupling go on my cooker - without it working the gas supply to the oven was cut off. The first time it happened DH was not very well and he did look at it but could not work it out so we had a man in. We needed to order the part for about €20 but he charged us €145 to do the job. DH Still has not got over this! Since then he has done it himself and actually bought a job lot of these coupling from a chap on the Internet who found the bundle in his father's workshop when he died. We got the whole bundle for about £15. - DH very pleased with the bargain!

tiffaney Thu 23-Mar-17 08:11:59

Thanks people, l think as it was an electrical problem we didn't feel confident in tackling it ourselves and l couldnt be without my grill, but now l feel justified in feeling ripped off. If they ask me for a review l will tell them so. We live and learn don't we?