Gransnet forums

House and home

Copper kitchen rack

(22 Posts)
callgirl1 Sat 08-Apr-17 00:03:39

Does anyone know where I can buy a copper, or copper effect, rack for my copper kitchen utensils? At the moment they`re hanging on my rack from the previous utensils, it`s stainless steel and black, but they don`t look quite right. I`ve tried local shops (we don`t have many) and lots of websites, and just no luck. I`m having a new kitchen in a few weeks, and want everything just so, just for a change!

br0adwater Sat 08-Apr-17 08:39:19

www.copperbespoke.co.uk is one of several places online

Lillie Sat 08-Apr-17 09:00:45

Are you near London, because I've seen the real things in Borough Market. I think they come from France.
Not much help if you're miles away, sorry!

JackyB Sat 08-Apr-17 09:34:10

Would something in mahogany or another dark wood do? I assume you mean a kind of bar with hooks on it...

callgirl1 Sat 08-Apr-17 16:35:01

Too far to get to London Lillie, sorry. Thank you for your replies.

petra Sat 08-Apr-17 17:35:35

Is there not a small independent company in your area where you could tell them exactly what you want.
As a start you could phone someone who makes railings as my friend does and they might be able to direct you to someone who can.

callgirl1 Sun 09-Apr-17 01:31:22

I don`t know of anyone Petra, but will try and find out.

MawBroon Sun 09-Apr-17 08:37:22

Just wondering if you want copper with copper? The "tones " may be different which could jar.
Would wood not be acceptable as a contrast?
Being nosey, I'd love to know what you plan for the units, tiles/splash backs, surfaces and flooring.
I do like looking at other people's kitchens on property programmes etc - my imagination runs away with me!

callgirl1 Sun 09-Apr-17 23:06:56

Right MawB. The kitchen will have white units, black worktops with coloured sparkly bits, wall tiles about a foot deep, shiny black brick shaped tiles, and grey tiles on the floor. On the B & Q website, it`s called the Chiltern Country White, but the handles on there are different to mine, and I`m having glass doors in the wall units with lights inside. I`ll try and get a decent photo of the kitchen man`s mock up picture of what it`ll look like.
You may have a point about the copper.

MawBroon Sun 09-Apr-17 23:11:59

Sounds lovely!! Will you dare to cook in such pristine glam surroundings?

callgirl1 Mon 10-Apr-17 00:16:38

Probably not, lol!
Here`s what it should, more or less, look like, this is what the man at B & Q had on his computer after I`d finished telling him what I wanted.

MawBroon Mon 10-Apr-17 06:38:49

Nice! If you can't find copper, perhaps you could "match" the metal of the door handles?
Or are you going for one of those racks which can also be a clothes dryer (a "Sheila Maid" I believe some people call, them, but to me "a pulley") in which case they are generally wood but you could have either black or white metal ends?
#likedesigingotherpeopleskitchensareus

callgirl1 Mon 10-Apr-17 14:57:44

MawB, I don`t want a clothes drying rack, just a little rod thing on the wall with hooks for my kitchen utensils. The handles on the units are pewter.

Norah Mon 10-Apr-17 15:13:13

Could a local metallurgist work a piece of copper pipe to specific measurements?

callgirl1 Mon 10-Apr-17 16:26:16

Would that I knew anyone like that Norah, good idea though.

MawBroon Mon 10-Apr-17 17:06:35

Right. Something like this? Really useful.
(I had envisaged one of those racks hanging from the ceiling with all your copper bottomed pots on it! )
I also hang things from the sides of my cooker hood which has a rail round it. (As you can see)

Auntieflo Mon 10-Apr-17 17:16:46

How are you getting on with your copper rack? I had thought copper pipe, and if you are having any plumbing done, ask your chap to bend a piece of pipe to shape. They have a gadget for bending pipes, and while he's there, see if he knows where to get the end fixings, and how to attach it. Good luck.

Elegran Mon 10-Apr-17 17:29:29

That is a proper batterie de cuisine Maw

MawBroon Mon 10-Apr-17 17:41:40

grin elegran! Really useful having them all hanging there. Every once in a blue moon I bung the whole lot, hooks and all, in the dishwasher though as they do get sticky hanging over the cooker.

petra Mon 10-Apr-17 17:53:47

You could have a change of mind Re colour and buy one from Ikea and have it powder coated black.

callgirl1 Mon 10-Apr-17 21:45:46

That`s exactly the sort of thing I`m after MawB. Those pictures look like the kitchen of a seriously great cook!

MawBroon Mon 10-Apr-17 22:34:30

I'm afraid I can't remember where I got it, callgirl, a fairly bog standard kitchen shop I think (also the hooks) - brushed stainless steel is fairly innocuous I think. Good luck!