Gransnet forums

House and home

Boxes stuff comes in - keep or throw away?

(18 Posts)
BluebellGran Tue 11-Apr-17 10:59:10

I'm trying to declutter! What a nightmare. Just too much STUFF! What do others do with the boxes that mobiles, cameras, watches, electrical stuff comes in? I've always kept them because they have serial numbers and model numbers on, and because they have extra equipment in like ear pods, cables, plugs etc in them.
Shall I put them in the loft with all the other STUFF or continue to keep them handy because I guarantee if I put them in the loft I will find I need a serial or model number?
What do others do? Eventually someone, probably my poor sons, will have to sort out the loft etc when I pop my clogs. I want a minimalist house, but how do I achieve it?!

Stansgran Tue 11-Apr-17 11:03:05

I take a pic of the serial number and any instructions then recycle the box.

Christinefrance Tue 11-Apr-17 11:07:02

Make a list of serial numbers etc you need to keep then throw everything out. I am a great declutterer
( pedant alert ) and throw out anything I do not use within weeks. Unfortunately my husband takes it all and hoards it in the barn. We then have a big row every few months when I want him to take it all to the tip. smile

Elegran Tue 11-Apr-17 11:15:21

Put the extra bits and a note of serial numbers, receipts and warranties into resealable poly bags CLEARLY LABELLED WITH WHAT THEY ARE and store them in a box. The boxes they came in may just possibly be needed to return them for repairs or replacements under warranty, but if the thing has worked OK until the warranty runs out, it will be likely to work OK until it eventually dies anyway. Those boxes you feel you must keep could be stored inside one another like Russian dolls.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 11-Apr-17 11:22:46

I always keep boxes too, my garage is full of them. If you have to return things the instructions usually say to use the original packaging, so I keep them! Does my head in though!

Nannarose Tue 11-Apr-17 11:36:37

I'm fortunate enough to have a loft. Boxes go in there for 1-2 years, depending on the item, then get recycled. If short of space, I fold up (but not really useful if they have those polystyrene inserts)
I also use the space to save all sorts of boxes and packaging. It used to get commandeered by odd family members who were moving. Recently, as they've settled more, I tear off any labels that identify me as I put it away and save until I have a couple of large boxes / bags stuffed with packaging, then put it on Freecycle. People who are moving, small businesses, ebayers etc. use it, so helps save from landfill.

Charleygirl Tue 11-Apr-17 11:55:06

My loft is empty and I intend to keep it that way. I keep boxes for a few weeks, note the serial number and if the item is working I get rid of the box in the recycling bin.

felice Tue 11-Apr-17 12:25:58

Drives me crazy here, you have to keep all original packing in case something has to be returned for any reason.
Even the plastic bags inside the packaging, if not you have to buy new packaging from the manufacturers.
We all have store rooms full of empty boxes.

M0nica Tue 11-Apr-17 13:16:07

Recycle them. Just note down any vital information.

rosesarered Tue 11-Apr-17 13:22:32

Yes,exactly that.We never keep packaging.

Norah Tue 11-Apr-17 13:40:01

DH puts it all in the loft until the warranty is up. He notes the date on the boxes, checks every few months for boxes to recycle.

annodomini Tue 11-Apr-17 13:41:19

The recycling scheme in E Cheshire takes all packaging even with plastic linings. But you have to be careful not to put polystyrene in recycling bins.

callgirl1 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:44:27

My husband always kept boxes,(in case item has to be returned, or in case we sell it) but our garage was chocca with boxes, plus the top of the wardrobes, I hope he won`t mind, but I`ve now disposed of most of them.

SueDonim Tue 11-Apr-17 17:08:20

When we decluttered our loft I discovered boxes for items such as a coffee maker we once had that was three coffee makers back! grin

Since then I've instigated a strict regime and boxes have to go asap. These days, if anything does need to be returned, boxes are easily come by.

Maggiemaybe Tue 11-Apr-17 17:21:20

I keep them for a week or two, then take them to the tip a few days before the items that belong in them conk out. In the same way that I give things to the charity shops a month before they come back into fashion.

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Apr-17 19:57:28

Maggiemaybe
Our items often conk out about two weeks after the guarantee has run out.

I would keep every single box but DH throws them all out. We keep the vital information, receipts, instructions etc on file.

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Apr-17 19:57:44

I meant to put grin Mmb

Niobe Tue 11-Apr-17 20:20:58

Never , ever had to repackage anything in its original box! Ever! Chuck them out!