Gransnet forums

House and home

washing machine

(18 Posts)
Outtawork Tue 18-Apr-17 20:46:46

How hard is it to find a washing machine,looking at some of the specifications none of them fit what l want?
All l want is a machine 7kg wash plus, spin speed not important, but not less than 1000, & l would like it wash 60 mins or so for a main wash on 40 degrees, the ads don't have all the info l need. please can anyone help?

Claudiaclaws Tue 18-Apr-17 21:06:41

I bought a Samsung ecobubble from Currys a couple of months ago. It has what it calls a daily wash cycle which takes about an hour.It will spin at 1000 and 1400, seems ok. Do check the measurements of the space it's going in to. It seems to need more than 600. But it does the job.

Welshwife Tue 18-Apr-17 22:07:21

All washing machines and dishwashers are cold feed only now so all seem to take a long time even on a foolish wash. Eco programmes take even longer.
That Eco bubble does have a programme which takes just over an hour but I don't know the temp of the wash. The time shows up as you select the programme- DD has one.

Claudiaclaws Tue 18-Apr-17 22:22:16

You can change the temperature to the one you require for most wash cycles with Samsung.

aggie Tue 18-Apr-17 22:39:50

My Bosch has a 60 wash that takes 1 hour 15 minutes

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:00:55

Some sites eg Currys I think, will let you choose three or four machines and do an online comparison.

Or you could take out a trial with Which for £1

DanniRae Wed 19-Apr-17 08:18:14

I found my latest washing by taking out £1 trial with Which. It helped me a lot to choose and I am happy with my choice - a Bosch.
Good Luck!

hildajenniJ Wed 19-Apr-17 08:58:58

I'm tight for space in this house, so I bought an Indesit compact washing machine. It washes at 20° up to a boil wash. It even has a setting for sports shoes, (it will be lucky to see any of those)! Although it has a smaller than average capacity, it will still wash the king size bedding all together, and I've washed the king size summer duvet in it. I am very happy with it, and can recommend it.

hildajenniJ Wed 19-Apr-17 09:01:01

Just looked up the specifications. My Indesit takes 6kg load.

grannypiper Wed 19-Apr-17 16:37:26

Outtawork I n answer to your question, its bloody hard, thanks to the E.U we cant have a 20 min quick wash anymore. Best place for info is the net, i tried speaking to a young male sales assistant in Curry's but after 10 mins of blank stares, shrugging shoulders and "dunno" as answer to my questions he finally admitted he has never used a washing machine ! well that was stating the bleeding obvious.
I ended up buying a hoover machine and it has been fantastic.

Izabella Wed 19-Apr-17 16:51:50

And the Indesit has flash clean programmes up to 60 which are excellent. Would not be without mine. Versatile. I have also used the trainers cycle often and it works well too.

janetta46 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:59:56

I have recently had to replace my washing machine and eventually decided on a Siemens WM14Q478GB which I got from John Lewis. The programme I usually use is the "mixed fabrics" one which washes at 40 degrees and spins at 1400rpm, though you can change both if you wish, and it takes 60 minutes. Quicker than my old machine and dos a good job.

janetta46 Wed 19-Apr-17 20:00:50

does.....must need a new keyboard, or new fingers....

Nandalot Wed 19-Apr-17 20:14:05

Recently bought an indesit innex from John Lewis. We are very heavy on washing machines so didn't want an expensive one. John Lewis gives a longer guarantee. As well as all the other programmes this one has a special blue button which automatically does a 40 degree wash that only takes 50 minutes. I use this for the bulk of the washing and only use the custom washes for the hot wash and the refresh. Spin speed up to 1400 but I think the the blue button is set on 1000. If weather is bad I just give it an extra 10 min spin to save on the tumble drying.
Ps when I checked this it wrote indestructible instead of indesit... here's hoping.

Alima Wed 19-Apr-17 20:27:22

We have one of those Nandalot, find the 50minute wash really good. Apart from that one, the boil wash and the freshen wash are the only cycles I have used in the 18months we have had the machine. About to buy another one for DD 's flat.

Hilltopgran Thu 20-Apr-17 01:01:43

I am really pleased with my Bosch, takes a 7lb load and has a mixed load wash that takes 1hr at 40deg. It has a really good spin as well so clothes dry much faster than in my old machine. I bought through John Lewis ad I was desperate when old one broke with loads of holiday washing needing to be done, I arranged a next day delivery which was great.

Outtawork Thu 20-Apr-17 20:28:15

Thank you everyone for the input,l will never ever have another lndesit, but l will look at the john lewis website

Outtawork Thu 20-Apr-17 21:02:35

l have found a washing machine on argos, outside my budget, but it does 7kg on a mixed 40 degree wash 87 mins, oh well have to wait for the next money off event, maybe bank holiday weekend.