Gransnet forums

House and home

Flexible silicone multipiece mould thingys - any good?

(10 Posts)
cascats Mon 01-May-17 18:52:09

Has anyone tried the silicone flexible side moulds, they interlock and you can make shapes with them.
Think they may be called 'snake moulds'. Lots of them on amazon but no sensible reviews.
Have an event coming up which calls for three large number cakes and they look possible but would be buying several sets and want to be sure they are worth it.
Can anyone advise? Thank you

hildajenniJ Mon 01-May-17 22:52:59

I've seen those demonstrated on Facebook. They are guaranteed not to leak and I'm tempted to try one. I was wondering about asking if anyone had tried them. You beat me to it cas.

kittylester Tue 02-May-17 07:43:45

Our local cake shop rents out number shapes - might be an option.

cascats Tue 02-May-17 08:04:14

Thats were i first saw them Hilda, keep popping up on my feed, but seems to be USA site (am in UK) and not cheap! So thats what made me look at Amazon.smile
Thats a good thought Kitty thank you, will look into that here. But did like the idea of the flexibility of the interlocking ones as it appears you can make small cakes, cheesecakes etc as well as a variety of shapes.

NanaandGrampy Tue 02-May-17 08:27:32

I thought they looked fab too Cascats so will follow this thread with interest in case you do test them out .

hildajenniJ Tue 02-May-17 09:00:54

Me too. I'm in the UK cas I also looked for them on Amazon and eBay and was put off by the price. I'm not a very enthusiastic baker, but thought they could be useful.

annodomini Tue 02-May-17 09:11:33

Surprisingly I can't see these on the Lakeland web site, but I am sure they soon will be! At a price! I had thought of giving a set to one of my sons who is a good baker and makes novelty cakes for his boys' birhdays.

shysal Tue 02-May-17 10:08:55

They do look a bit flimsy, but a good idea. For numbers I have this cake tin, but I haven't used it yet.
cake tin

cascats Tue 02-May-17 11:32:56

Now that looks an interesting idea shysal, may I as where you found it please smile and very cheekily how much it cost grin

shysal Tue 02-May-17 12:20:05

I bought it on Ebay. Just had another look, and this blue link shows the cheapest at £11.99, free P&P.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alphabet-Letters-Number-Cake-Tin-Pan-Creater-Decorating-Fondant-Baking-Mold-/262593028744?hash=item3d23c3a288:g:nhAAAOSwMtxXvl7K