Gransnet forums

House and home

Help!!! Tomato pesto stain on pale green carpet!

(9 Posts)
shysal Tue 09-May-17 16:44:22

I knocked a jar of sun-dried tomato pesto out of the kitchen cupboard and, when trying to save it, managed to propel it onto the tiled kitchen floor where it smashed and continued into the hall, ending up on the doormat leaving an orange trail on the carpet.
I had some cleaning products to hand. First tried Vanish Oxy carpet stain remover which hardly made an impression on it. Next I used Vanish Powerfoam high traffic carpet cleaner which has done a pretty good job, but I can still see the marks. Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-May-17 17:33:39

Have you left the carpet stain remover on for a bit ?
I use the remover initially just to get the worst off
Soak up with kitchen roll
and then I reapply and leave for couple hours dabbing every so often with kitchen roll.
Good luck

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-May-17 17:42:19

On google it suggests a mixture of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle
Rubbing from the outside inwards into the middle of the stain.
Maybe try on an area of carpet out is sight first.

shysal Tue 09-May-17 18:06:05

Thank you cherrytree. I did leave the Vanish on for about an hour, but I know it will leave paler patches. I have cats so am always cleaning up blood and gore!
I will try the vinegar.

gillybob Tue 09-May-17 18:28:28

I have removed all sorts from my cream carpets using Fairy Liquid Shysal basically I make a strong, warm frothy liquid with a good squirt of Fairy, and use a circular motion, blotting regularly with paper towels. Good luck.

Coolgran65 Tue 09-May-17 22:42:39

I've been having success recently with Stain Devils. You can buy them specifically for oil/fat ... tomato/curry stains .... etc.

As they are not now available in all supermarkets like they used to be, I order them from Amazon.

rosesarered Tue 09-May-17 23:09:54

I would redo the Vanish power foam shysal , wow that pesto certainly traveled!

jusnoneed Wed 10-May-17 08:15:16

I use washing up liquid for most stain removal, but it's best done asap.
A paste made of washing powder may work too.

shysal Wed 10-May-17 08:56:08

Thank you all for your ideas. This morning I have a clean carpet, having followed several of your suggestions. A friend recommended hand sanitizer, which he uses on all stains, and this removed the very last hint.

Today I am going to have a clear out of the cupboard from which it fell. It contains some out of date stuff which I am unlikely to ever use. Will also stock up on some Stain Devils.