Gransnet forums

House and home

Hard water in a wetroom

(11 Posts)
mollie Thu 11-May-17 08:43:15

Any suggestions for keeping a dark grey slate-like wet room floor clean from the effects of the local hard water? After almost a year it's looking rather shabby despite my best efforts. I'm running out of ideas short of retiling and/or having a water softener fitted, both costly. Thank you.

hildajenniJ Thu 11-May-17 09:36:16

Why not try a shower filter. I got one for my shower cubicle a few months ago. I got mine to try and help my dry skin, but the package said it cut out hard water stains. Have a look on Amazon, they have quite a range and they are cheaper than a water filtration system.

shysal Thu 11-May-17 09:41:57

What about using one of the shower spray cleaners? Several brands on sale in superarkets.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shower-Screen-Tile-Cleaner-Bond-it-750ml-/252900596020?hash=item3ae20cd934:g:tHIAAOSwjqVZAgCw

I also wondered whether a squeegee on a long handle would get rid of any residual water from walls and floor.

shysal Thu 11-May-17 09:44:17

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/660mm-Floor-Squeegee-foam-rubber-wiper-849640-wet-room-flood-x-handle-silverline-/231977966811

mollie Thu 11-May-17 14:24:36

Thanks both.

I hadn't thought about shower filters so that's one to think about, thAnks hildajenniJ.

Shysal, we use a squeegee and I use the usual calcium-busting solutions in diluted form and they certainly help but the problem is that I'm still using hard water to rinse everything. But now you mention it I wonder if one of those 'never rinse' sprays might help? Worth a try...thanks.

Tizliz Thu 11-May-17 14:43:32

I have very soft water and could not imagine going back to hard water. I would look at this sort of thing: www.uk-water-filters.co.uk/treatments/saltless_water_softeners.html not sure what it costs but you will save so much on soap/cleaner/washing powder/kettle cleaners etc.

suzied Thu 11-May-17 16:25:06

A water softener is great.

mollie Fri 12-May-17 17:02:21

The water softener is the ideal solution but not on the cards for a while. I took soft water for granted ...sigh hmm

Dorothy123 Mon 10-Jul-17 11:07:15

I have the same worries,Thank your for sharing!

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Jul-17 11:42:46

We live in a hard water area and the shower tiles are easily lime scale marked. I periodically wipe them over with Viacal - or Harpic at a push - leave for a few minutes and wash off. That seems to work - but be careful not to get either on chrome as it can remove that too!

glammanana Mon 10-Jul-17 11:53:38

Nfk I agree about the Viacal it is also good for getting rid of any signs of fungus on sealant in showers and bathrooms I have used it for many years just make sure you used gloves,I spray our wetroom floor with it and use a squezzy mop to rinse away.