Gransnet forums

House and home

Electric fire

(10 Posts)
Treebee Thu 01-Jun-17 20:39:24

Having bitten the bullet and having had our aging boiler and radiators replaced, I want an electric fire, mainly as a focal point for the living room. We probably won't often use it for the heat, but mainly for the fire effect.
I'm confused by the different ways this effect is made, and which looks best, LED, ambient light, eh?
Advice and experiences welcome.

phoenix Thu 01-Jun-17 21:47:47

We have had the fake log burner type ones, very effective, especially if you put a small basket of logs nearby!

What sort of room is it, modern, traditional do you already have a fire surround, if not, do you want one?

Our sitting room has no chimney breast, but we put in a fire surround and mantlepiece, mirror above, and it seems that hardly anyone notices that it isn't "real" .

Treebee Fri 02-Jun-17 21:39:02

We had a gas fire which has now been removed, so we have a 'fireplace' hole in the wall.
I'm thinking of covering it up with an electric fire with a surround to look like a fireplace. I like the look of pebbles which have what is called an ambient light below. I can't imagine what this looks like. Does an ambient light flicker?

phoenix Fri 02-Jun-17 21:55:53

I would think so, Treebee, but best to check.

It's a personal thing, but I prefer a room to have more of a focal point than just the TV. As mentioned, our room has a fire surround & mantle piece, with a large mirror above. The whole thing could be regarded as surplus to requirements, however it does provide a focal point, is home to a collection of candlesticks, and at
Christmas looks good with the greenery on it.

M0nica Fri 02-Jun-17 22:30:53

DD bought a second-hand old-fashioned electric fake fire.'coals' in a tray at the bottom and flickering background from a light bulb behind a coloured sheet, with a fan heater underneath. It was meant to be a temporary measure until she could afford something better, but she has found it so effective, 10 years later it is still in place. She rarely, if ever uses the heating element, just turns on the decorative effect; the coals glow and a flame effect runs across the sheet behind. I once without thinking held my hand out to it to warm them grin

BlueBelle Sat 03-Jun-17 05:08:56

I don't have any central heating in my old Victorian house No way I could afford it and silly for one person so I rely on my gas fire and it's so efficient the room is lovely and cosy and it gives out a nice warm look....

Jane10 Sat 03-Jun-17 09:07:07

We've got a rather strange electric fire. Like you I wanted the flame effect and a fireplace as focal point. The whole thing plugs in and consists of a sandstone effect fire surround with a 'fire' on the hearth. It emits heat horizontally so the cat sits in front of it in the traditional way. It has randomly generated 'flames'. Extremely realistic but they are actually steam. I have to top us the water reservoir which feels very counterintuitive. It works very well.
I was worried about running costs as I was using it so much over the winter. Night and day sometimes due to sleep problems following knee replacement. However, hooray, the monthly direct debit was markedly reduced downwards.
I don't know the make of the fire but it's Italian I think.

MawBroon Sat 03-Jun-17 09:41:57

We put in a coal effect gas fire some years ago with a fire surround designed and made by a local artist. I like its looks and it can really pump out heat when necessary.
The greyhound is an optional extra.

Treebee Sat 03-Jun-17 19:20:31

Is that the opti myst effect Jane 10? I read that it's very realistic.
I find a glowing fire very cosy and I'm missing the light from my old gas fire.
Your fire looks lovely Maw Broon.
I guess I have to work out how big I want this to be too...

Jane10 Sat 03-Jun-17 19:56:52

I don't know what it's called. I took a pic for you but couldn't wait for the flames to build up because it's so hot here!
The whole thing is the fire. I was glad of the instant fireplace effect as DH completely against them and I really wanted a mantlepiece!