Gransnet forums

House and home

very slippery floor

(18 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 05-Jun-17 16:24:23

I need some advice from your combined brains please.
The other week, we had a blank panel fitted into the bottom half of our DG back door, replacing a glass one. The thing is, I'm sure that the chap who did it has sprayed 'something' around, and it has got onto the Amtico flooring, making it slippery. I have tried just washing with the normal floor cleaner, to no avail. I emailed Amtico for some help, to date Nil, Nada, Nothing. Very helpful. I don't want to ruin the surface of the floor, so just wondered whether anyone had any brilliant suggestions, before I go A.... over T... and end up with a broken, and/or bruised ego. Thanks.

Elegran Mon 05-Jun-17 16:27:49

Contact whoever fitted the panel. They will know what was in the spray and probably know what will remove it too.

Elegran Mon 05-Jun-17 16:28:36

And if they don't you can always give them a piece of your mind for not protecting the Amtico.

tanith Mon 05-Jun-17 16:52:50

How about a bit of elbow grease with a scrubbing brush it might work..grin

M0nica Mon 05-Jun-17 18:42:34

Try mopping over with white spirit.

JackyB Mon 05-Jun-17 18:48:24

A non-slip mat?

mimiro Mon 05-Jun-17 18:55:43

do you have Dawn dish washing soap over there?
will clean up most oily stuff,
we use it to get crude oil off of animals stuck in oil spills.
its very gentle but degreases just about anything.
if no dawn >>a soap made for laundry or dishes thats
made to dissolve grease.

Auntieflo Mon 05-Jun-17 19:11:00

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tomorrow I was going to try the elbow grease and scrubbing brush, which involves me getting down onto my knees, and maybe not being able to get up again, decorously!
I have got some ammonia and wondered if I could really dilute it, but I don't want to ruin the surface.
Mimiro, as far as I know we don't have Dawn soap, but I have, squirrelled away, a bar of the REAL Sunlight soap, which I will try, as it's magic, and you can't buy the real stuff anymore. The substitute is just not the same.

ninathenana Mon 05-Jun-17 22:24:57

H cleans the grease of our stainless steel splash back with WD40

Teacheranne Tue 06-Jun-17 00:07:09

I have some cleaner from Amtico which I use to clean and strip it then I add a new protective coat. I have only used it once as it was hard work but it came free when the floor was fitted.. You should be able to get it from a supplier of Amtico

Elegran Tue 06-Jun-17 09:48:32

It may not be greasy. It may be a silicone sealant, which sticks like the proverbial "shit to a blanket" and is impervious to water. That is a good thing for a sealant, but not so good when you want to remove it. Have you had no joy from asking the chap who sprayed it what exactly it was?

Auntieflo Tue 06-Jun-17 11:40:37

I am emailing him in a minute, and will wait and see what he says.

jusnoneed Tue 06-Jun-17 13:08:32

Googled "clean slippery Amtico" and there is a site linneycooper.co.uk which tells you about special Amtico cleaning products and how to use them, including one to strip the floor.
There are other sites too, including youtube.

Auntieflo Tue 06-Jun-17 18:55:18

I tried emailing the fitter, but it was bounced back. Failed delivery.
I did do the Sunlight soap, but not on my hands and knees, just a micro cloth and skaters feet, ⛸ ⛸ easier on the achey knees.
Teacheranneand jusnoneed, I used to have all the various Amtico cleaners, etc,but used them up, and now just use Flash or similar.
Ninathenana, wouldn't WD40 make it more slippy?
Elegran, I have a feeling that it was probably a silicone type substance.
Am going to have supper in a mo, and will then go try the slippiness, gently and holding on.
By the way JackyB, we do need a new mat. grin

Elegran Tue 06-Jun-17 20:13:55

WD40 cuts the grease. If it is not grease but silicone it won't have any effect.

Elegran Tue 06-Jun-17 20:14:58

Won't remove the silicone, I mean. It might have some kind of effect.

MarjorieStevens Fri 28-Jul-17 14:51:21

I can only suggest you to contact the contractor.

Auntieflo Fri 28-Jul-17 15:32:09

MarjorieS, this was an old thread, and I apologise for not coming back. After I used my trusty block of Sunlight (type) soap, all was well. At least I haven't gone A over T. grin. Have just finished reading another thread about floor cleaning, and I also subscribe to the wipes on feet and skating wandering round the kitchen. Which reminds me, it could do with doing today.