Gransnet forums

House and home

Shower mats

(14 Posts)
mumofmadboys Mon 12-Jun-17 07:20:34

We have a guest room with an en suite.I have a newish shower mat in it. All the sucker pads have gone a pink colour, presumably some form of mould.I tried soaking it in a bath with bleach solution thinking that would sort it.It has made no difference
Any ideas please GNetters?

suzied Mon 12-Jun-17 07:25:26

Could be limescale? Try limescale remover, though Im not sure it would work on rubber . We haven't had this pink staining since we had a water softener.

Anya Mon 12-Jun-17 07:43:36

Buy a new mat. Lift it up and let it dry between showers to stop this happening again. Damp and warmth are perfect conditions for encouraging all sorts of growth. You can at least get rid of the damp element thus,

Baggs Mon 12-Jun-17 07:46:44

Lifting the mat and letting it dry between uses is the best way to preserve it in good condition. I hang ours over the bath bridge. Not sure what you'd do in a shower unit... perhaps have a small movable clothes horse and hang it over that until it's dry and then don't lie it down again until it's needed.

Luckygirl Mon 12-Jun-17 07:49:03

I just go with the flow - bathmat changes colour? - hey ho!

When it looks so grim that even I think it is revolting, I buy a new one.

Welshwife Mon 12-Jun-17 07:57:06

Our shower tray has a ridged pattern in the base so I don't use a mat as well but maybe the mould spray Lakeland sell would o the trick. You spray it on the area, leave for about 20 mins and wash off.

MawBroon Mon 12-Jun-17 08:12:47

Oh, I see Anya has beaten me to it.
Buy a new one.

Elegran Mon 12-Jun-17 08:33:13

Throw it out, it has passed its use-by date, and don't replace it. I put a honeycomb weave teatowel on the floor of the shower and stand on that to stop me slipping. It goes into the washing machine with the towels so is always fresh and clean. Wet/soapy plastic gets pink mould on it.

When I turn on the shower, it runs cold until the hot water gets through the pipes but I have to stand in the shower to reach the controls to turn it on - so I cower against the wall holding the teatowel in front of me as though doing the dance of the one seven veils.

Maggiemaybe Mon 12-Jun-17 08:37:19

HG mould remover spray works like magic on bathroom tiles etc and is less than a fiver, so may be worth a go? (no, I'm not on commission, just a very happy customer grin).

Charleygirl Mon 12-Jun-17 08:41:45

The type of shower mat I buy is white and comes in a small roll so I get at least 3 mats and they last for ages. I need a shower stool so afterwards I hang the mat over that.

I find this cheap and cheerful way safer because an ordinary bath mat for some reason clung to my feet after each shower.

Auntieflo Mon 12-Jun-17 09:15:23

Elagran got there first. I was going to say, use a flannel to stand on. I read this tip here a while ago, and it is such a good idea.

grannypiper Mon 12-Jun-17 09:17:21

Lauryl sulphate in shampoo and shower gel will cause the orange gunge.

Elegran Mon 12-Jun-17 10:01:16

A flannel is a bit small to stand on if you are going to turn around under the shower. A teatowel is just the right size. When it gets wet it clings to the shower base.

mumofmadboys Mon 12-Jun-17 11:36:39

Thanks very much for all your suggedtions