Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving Home timescale

(9 Posts)
andycor Sat 24-Jun-17 18:13:43

Hello All

I have posted a couple of times about moving house. Well, next Friday will see us moving from Surrey to Devon, we are very excited to be doing our escape to the country. It may be helpful to share how long it has all taken us, in the end. We put our house on the market in January. Our buyer was in place by the beginning of March. By mid march we had our offer accepted on the house in Devon (but bear in mind that we have been looking at different areas for a year and had made around eight separate trips over weekends to scout out various places). The owners of the house we are buying are relocating to another part of the country and their sellers are moving into a new build. Hence, including our buyers selling to first time buyers, we landed up being in a chain of five. We had a very tense couple of weeks where the solicitors started arguing with each other (yes, really, too complex to go into!) We had hoped to move by the beginning of June but we were at the mercy of the rest of the chain and just sat tight and waited until a date was agreed. We finally exchanged contracts on 26 May and actually having this month to say our goodbyes and pack up our stuff in a leisurely way has worked well. We don't have jobs to go to or other commitments, being newly retired, so the actual date was not so important for us. But there is no doubt it's still a very stressful thing to do and the lawyers want ever increasing amount of paperwork. OUr estate agent is just across the road and has been very good, but I wish we had chosen a local solicitor rather than a conveyancing company based miles away, which made for variable levels of communication, usually electronic and took an age to get responses.
We are looking forward to being closer to family and also having space to have people to stay and the time to enjoy a different pace. Good luck to anyone else planning a similar move!

travelsafar Sat 24-Jun-17 18:48:34

How wonderful, a new adventure in your lives.I really hope it goes to plan and you are very happy. Just wish i could get my other half to move we need somewhere smaller!!!

Luckygirl Sat 24-Jun-17 19:03:52

Lots of good luck in your new home and in this exciting new venture in your lives.

We moved into a bungalow a year ago and we have not regretted it and are enjoying our new home. But it was a bit stressful. So look after yourselves; don't expect to sort everything out very quickly (we have not sorted the garage yet!); try to make sure you concentrate on living room, kitchen and one bedroom and let the rest go hang for a while whilst you draw breath. You are retired now, so no hurry! I hope you enjoy your new home.

LadyGracie Sat 24-Jun-17 20:13:50

Sounds wonderful, I'm so envious of your moving andycor and Luckygirl. I'd love to move to the country, but not isolated, away from noisy traffic, preferably a bungalow with views.

Grannyben Sat 24-Jun-17 20:20:29

How jealous am I!
I love Devon and Cornwall and it will be a wonderful new adventure for you. Good luck

andycor Wed 28-Jun-17 18:00:20

Thank you all for your kind comments and good thoughts. That's good advice Luckygirl about unpacking, because we have so many boxes, although they are well labelled I am dreading the time it will take to unpack them but I know there is no rush too, its a balancing act. Some of the family will be coming to stay early on so I think I will make a bit of unpacking to help obligatory!

lucyl1 Fri 21-Jul-17 14:08:42

Hope the big move went well! I'm new to the forum so a bit late posting on here now. Have you moved into the new house?

I've lived in Devon for a few years now and moved from the Midlands but I love it here - the climate, the scenery etc! I was trying to find a list of great things about the area for you (maybe I could write my own if you'd be interested) but came across this one which you might find useful - no worries if not! It's such a lovely area, I bet you can't wait to be fully settled and enjoyed life in the South West!

Jackriveiro Tue 08-Aug-17 06:47:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mumofmadboys Tue 08-Aug-17 08:20:47

We moved when we retired and it's wonderful. Hope you are very happy in Devon Andycor.