Gransnet forums

House and home

Electric rise recline armchairs that look stylish - help and tips required!

(14 Posts)
lo0pho1e Tue 27-Jun-17 08:06:50

Hello all,

I'm wanting to buy a rise and recline armchair for our living room that you lift electrically and also recline. However, so far all I've been able to find are rather ugly, dated looking chairs. Anybody got any tips on where I should be looking? Am I best to buy from a shop or has anyone purchased online? Also, should I go for a single motor or a dual motor chair and are there any other considerations?

I'm still looking around but would be glad of help from people with experience. Thanks in advance. smile

aggie Tue 27-Jun-17 08:46:26

I have one that we got for O H , it has been replaced with a very ugly one by the therapist , I find them all ugly . Better going to several shops and trying them out to see if you find them comfortable , the leather ones are marginally less ugly , they all take up acres of space ,ours is in the garage

lo0pho1e Tue 27-Jun-17 08:56:11

Exactly what I'm finding aggie. I'd rather do without and struggle on than have most of what I'm seeing in our living room. I've visited shops in the area but no one seems to have a good looking range. I agree that leathers do look a little better, I prefer cloth for comfort though. confused

aggie Tue 27-Jun-17 08:59:02

I just put an extra cushion under me and at my back smile than flounder like a beached whale

Teetime Tue 27-Jun-17 09:08:47

HSL seem to be the market leader and they will upholster in a variety of materials - is it worth getting them in (they like to come and measure up)? We bought one for MIL and the quality was very good.

Granof12 Tue 27-Jun-17 09:29:58

My son-in-law was diagnosed with a terminal cancer recently and has lost a lot of his strength and mobility. My daughter wanted to get him a rise recliner and had exactly the same predicament as you lo0pho1e. She really struggled to find a riser chair she liked and would fit into their home.
Eventually she found a company called Alpine, they do a lovely range of contemporary rise recliners and she bought a beautiful chair from them that wasn't too expensive either. Their chairs are here... alpinehc.co.uk/riser-recliner-chairs. They were really happy with Alpine's service and the chair, I will find out more info for you if you like.

lo0pho1e Tue 27-Jun-17 09:33:33

I have visited one of the HSL stores Teetime, they are the best I've seen so far. Even still though, their chairs are all very traditional in style and they are quite expensive. Also, a friend purchased a chair from them and wasn't terribly impressed with their service so that put me off a bit.

lo0pho1e Tue 27-Jun-17 10:15:19

Granof12, just what I'm looking for! gringrin I love those designs, really modern and stylish. They have a good choice of upholstery too. I particularly like the Situla riser recliner chair (https://alpinehc.co.uk/riser-recliner-chairs/situla-riser-recliner-chair).
I would be really grateful if you could send me some more information from your daughter. Did she go for fabric or leather upholstery?

grannysue05 Tue 27-Jun-17 10:34:31

My husband bought a SHERBORNE riser/recliner last year. They are all quite bulky but leather looks good.

Word of advice if you have small pets ( or small visiting grandchildren) _ Buy one with a safety system that stops the chair moving if it encounters an obstruction.
Ours stops immediately if you put a hand/arm/pet under the chair. It does happen!

Thinking about it ... leather is very slippery..maybe fabric would be better for you!

lo0pho1e Tue 27-Jun-17 10:45:19

Good advice grannysue05. I think I will go with fabric, I can imagine leather being quite slippy when the chair is tilted.

Juggernaut Tue 27-Jun-17 10:52:35

We have two HSL Berwick dual motor riser/recliner chairs. They're very big, as they're the Grande sizing, but we're both tall, and needed the extra size, especially in leg support length. We also have a Berwick 3 seater catch reclining sofa to match them.
We chose New England Teak leather upholstery, I'm very traditional.
We found the service from HSL was great, nothing was too much trouble, and the coffee they served while we were 'test driving' chairs was pretty good too.
Definitely have a look at single vs dual motor models, dual are far more versatile. I like to sit with my feet up but back not reclined, and that's only possible wih a dual motor.
It was a huge outlay cost wise, but they're gorgeous, very, very comfy and make life much easier.
Just be warned, if you're in full recline mode and someone knocks at the front door, they'll have left again before you get out of the chair and to the door grin

lo0pho1e Wed 28-Jun-17 16:13:18

Thanks Juggernaut. Alpine and HSL are the two companies I will be contacting. I'll be going for a dual motor chair based on what you've said. MT.

Synonymous Sat 01-Jul-17 20:15:25

We have just bought dual motor riser recliners from HSL. As we are unable to get out to their showroom to browse we checkeď their range on line and they brought chairs to the house so that we could see and try the ones we liked. They came a second time with other chairs as we wanted modern fabric with some good colour. They made our chairs to fit our individual measurements and covered them in the bright, modern fabric which we chose and which we had treated so that they would stay looking as good as new for as long as possible. They have various extras and we bought extra covers for the arms to save some of the wear and tear.
The staff were very pleasant and the delivery was prompt. We love the chairs which are so comfortable and much more convenient than the old chairs and footstools we used to have. They are not cheap but in xour experience you get what you pay for which in this case includes a 5 year guarantee on all parts of the chairs.

Synonymous Sat 01-Jul-17 20:24:10

PS As Juggernaut says it does take a while to get out of the chair and so we keep telling our regular delivery drivers to smell the flowers while they wait! grin