Gransnet forums

House and home

Whats it like to live in Driffield, Scarborough, Saltburn

(7 Posts)
Kateykrunch Sun 02-Jul-17 12:16:50

I have mentioned before that we looking to move and would like a change of area, we are struggling as we just dont know where to go. I have seen an ideal property on line in Driffield, do any of you have any info or personal experience of this place? We have found some lovely areas whilst exploring but as soon as we start to research more we keep coming up with really big negatives, for instance...HS2, flooding, fracking, anerobic digester, green belt development. We are also looking at Cayton, Hunmanby, Scarborough, further 'up' North, Saltburn on Sea, Whitby and surrounding areas. (currently in South Yorkshire),

grannysue05 Sun 02-Jul-17 12:46:51

Katy strikes me that you are looking for somewhere anywhere really.
Then you search for all the negatives in that area. There will always be negatives wherever you go!
Maybe you can search for places where there are relatives or friends ....better chance of being happy and settled.

Kateykrunch Sun 02-Jul-17 13:01:50

Hi Grannysue, Cyprus, France and Austalia is where my relatives are! We are not prepared to live anywhere where there might be the issues I mentioned and its only by researching these areas that these 'negatives' crop up. I do feel it sensible to check out possible locations. Thanks for your response, do you have an answer to my question though?

grannysue05 Sun 02-Jul-17 17:04:09

Hi Katey. Sorry for the delay in responding...just back from walking the GC's...all three of them.
I don't know Driffield at all, sorry, so cant help with that.
I too have relatives in Cyprus. My DH has two brothers there and many neices and nephews.
We are off to visit them shortly.
I hope you find somewhere really nice to live.

callgirl1 Sun 02-Jul-17 19:47:47

Kateykrunch, have you considered the Yorkshire Dales? There`s some beautiful countryside around there.

oldgoat Sun 02-Jul-17 20:08:51

Saltburn has much to recommend it kateykrunch .It's one of our favourite seaside places in North Yorkshire. There's a beautiful beach, excellent coastal walks along the Cleveland Way, Victorian gardens and architecture. Although it's popular with holidaymakers, the area around the pier doesn't have the tacky amusement arcades found in some resorts.
The town seems fairly quiet with few large shops but with a handy railway station and reasonable bus service to neighbouring towns and cities.
There is also a very active WI who make excellent cakes.

Maggiemaybe Sun 02-Jul-17 20:47:48

Yes, Saltburn's one of my old stamping grounds and I would certainly consider moving back there if the family would all come with me, grandchildren and all! They might even consider it if suitable jobs were on offer - I assume that won't be an issue for you? It's quiet, but I can't think of any other major negatives.

I love Whitby, but it does get very busy in the summer. There are some lovely towns and villages around there though.