Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone got an external post-box?

(15 Posts)
eddiecat78 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:23:52

We are just renovating a cottage which will be rented out.
What was the front door will now be purely decorative - the main entrance now being round the back close to the garage. We are thinking about putting an external post box next to the original front door - as this is still the most obvious place for the postman to go. I`m wondering how successful these are. Is it a pain in the neck having to unlock them every time you want to see if you have post? And what happens if you go away for a couple of weeks and they fill up?

ffinnochio Mon 03-Jul-17 14:39:44

I have one, and don't find it a problem at all. When I go away, I leave the key with a trusted friend, who empties it periodically. On the whole I have little unsolicited mail / publicity flyers as have a sign saying 'no publicity'.

Penstemmon Mon 03-Jul-17 14:52:54

I took ours off the wall by our gate about 2 months ago. We have a front door letterbox but some posties just used the post box so sometimes we missed letters for a couple of days. I think the post box was fine ..it was just our double options that confused! Go for it!

Ana Mon 03-Jul-17 14:56:59

'No publicity'?! Sounds as though you're famous, ffinochio grin

ninathenana Mon 03-Jul-17 15:35:40

We put one up at mum's house as she was hiding 'loosing' her post due to her dementia. Her neighbour and I had keys but mum didn't. We found it invaluable.

Mamie Mon 03-Jul-17 15:42:50

What they actually say Ana is "Pas de Pub". ?

ffinnochio Mon 03-Jul-17 15:53:36

Ana grin.

Christinefrance Mon 03-Jul-17 16:47:13

Everyone has them here in France, convenient for parcels if you are out. Must be better for the post person, no awkward bending or risking animal attack by entering the garden.

oldgoat Mon 03-Jul-17 17:46:48

We have a box on the wall near the front door because the puppy was getting the post and shredding it. You can peep in through the lid to see if there's anything inside but I think it's quite exciting opening the box each day.
We give the key to the neighbour who is keeping an eye on the house while we are away and she puts any post on the dining room table for us. No problems so far.

TriciaF Mon 03-Jul-17 18:05:46

We all have here (France). The postie has a master key.
No problems.

ffinnochio Mon 03-Jul-17 18:14:01

If the parcel is too big to fit inside the outside postbox, the facteur (post woman/man) presses the horn for a very long time! That gets us running. If we don't run fast enough, she/he gets out of the yellow van and comes knocking. If that doesn't work, we get a slip that will tell us that it is being delivered the following day .... and if that doesn't work then another slip is posted suggesting we collect!
They drive like the devil around the villages, so yellow post vans are to be treated with respect!
Brilliant service.
smile

Mamie Mon 03-Jul-17 18:18:11

Ours wanders up the garden for a chat when he has a parcel. ? He also takes the post into the kitchen for the elderly neighbours.

TriciaF Mon 03-Jul-17 18:21:56

smile our border collie recognises the yellow van from far away and barks like mad when it stops to deliver then drives off.
She then come so us to be praised because she saw off this yellow intruder - most days at mid-day.

NonnaW Mon 03-Jul-17 19:26:33

From the other side of things, as a delivery person for our local newsletter, I love external boxes - less chance of getting fingers trapped in letterboxes!

wildswan16 Mon 03-Jul-17 19:47:33

I used to have an external box - our gate was 100 yards down the drive. Very rural area, no lock, just an old wooden box on the verge. Walked down for the post (and the milk) every morning. Sometimes managed to pick up a frog or mouse or two that had hopped in for a rest.