Gransnet forums

House and home

Thinking of moving to Broadstairs

(6 Posts)
morwenna Sat 29-Jul-17 11:24:07

The time has come to organise myself to move out of London. I am thinking of Broadstairs. Any information, advise, ideas, thoughts will be most welcome. I need all the help I can get with two cats and a large number of goldfish in the pond to move with me.

devongirl Sat 29-Jul-17 12:25:22

morwenna I shall be interested to hear what people say! I am keen to move to the seaside on retirement to Kent/Sussex and have thought about Broadstairs myself. Sadly my cat dies last year, but I may well have at least 2 by then!

silverlining48 Sat 29-Jul-17 12:39:19

Really like broadstairs , we go down there when we can and have had some lovely days out. I have often thought about perhaos moving there..one day. Such a pretty main ( viking) beach as well as the many different bays along the coast, all sandy for a good paddle.

M0nica Sat 29-Jul-17 16:16:07

Make a list of all your interests and check whether there are opportunities for you to do them in Broadstairs. Perhaps stay a few weeks out of season, attend a few meetings or get togethers to check that the people who do them are your kind of people.

My parents did diligent homework on the place they were thinking of moving too, stayed there a few days, visited their church, library etc and had a long and very happy retirement in the town of their choice.

Another friend moved to another part of the country on retirement based on happy memories of previous life there, but saw no need to do anything else. The town had changed beyond measure. She hated it there but could not afford to move and I believe her unhappiness contributed to her early death.

GrandmaMoira Sun 30-Jul-17 11:00:45

If you're looking for a seaside retirement, Broadstairs is certainly a good option. I've often visited. It's small and friendly and not far to Canterbury for a big shopping centre and still accessible to London. I'm not sure what sort of activities it has.

Morgana Wed 09-Aug-17 14:34:57

We love Broadstairs. Might be worth checking what it is like in the winter.