Gransnet forums

House and home

Faux Flowers

(9 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 02-Aug-17 16:48:01

I bought a lovely bunch of fake tulips at a charity car boot sale. When I unwrapped the sellophane I was really impressed at how real they looked and felt. I have put them in a vase in the lounge.
Yesterday I commented to Hubby how nice and life like they look.
Today, I said to him, ooh look they are just starting to open!
It was me who accused him of being bonkers yesterday, is it catching?

Coolgran65 Wed 02-Aug-17 17:04:02

I have loads of fake flowers, beautiful hydrangea/peonies/roses and other wild county meadow blooms, all top quality and all bought at boot sales or charity shops and they live in a box under the bed. I am careful to use them as seasonal. i.e. no daffodils except in Spring smile

It's great fun to change the flowers, the mix of flowers, and to change what rooms they will be in this week or next week. Because they are forever changing noone seems to realise that they are not real.

seacliff Wed 02-Aug-17 17:08:49

I have a deep red amaryllis which comes out near Christmas time, and has foolrd many people.

varian Fri 04-Aug-17 21:17:16

My late MIL was a great flower arranger and often mixed faux flowers with fresh foliage.

rosesarered Fri 04-Aug-17 21:22:49

Some are really excellent these days and hard to tell they are not the real thing.Yes, mixing them with fresh foliage looks good and fools the eye.
Katey...... just don't put them into water! grin

hildajenniJ Fri 04-Aug-17 22:40:24

I have some beautiful cream coloured roses with other fake greenery in a vase in my living room. Even though my DH is a very good gardener, and we have lots of flowers in the garden, I never think about cutting them and bringing them into the house. My grandmother used to look at vases of flowers and say "poor dead things", I have a similar viewpoint.

Willow500 Sat 05-Aug-17 07:40:34

I've also got loads of faux flowers ranging from cheap stems to a beautiful bowl of hydrangeas I bought a few weeks ago. I do change them round and always remove them in Dec to put my Christmas arrangements out. One of my favourites at the moment is a 'bucket' of wild flowers bought in the supermarket when they were reduced - I've put it in a plant pot outside my summerhouse where I can see it from the kitchen window. My mother in law grew the most amazing flowers and would always cut me a huge bunch when we visited but she would never put cut flowers in her own home and woe betide us if we bought her flowers!

Franbern Tue 08-Aug-17 10:37:14

I love having faux flowers - good quality ones. Change them according the season. Also use on them appropriate spray perfume, and love to see people lean over these arrangements, take in their scent and they rarely realise they are not real.

M0nica Tue 08-Aug-17 11:42:39

We have those faux flower arrangement in a vase with resin scattered round our French house. It makes the house look relaxed and lived in when we arrive rather than a rented holiday home.