Gransnet forums

House and home

It keeps going "donk'" and it's driving me mad!

(21 Posts)
phoenix Thu 28-Sep-17 19:28:44

Evening all,

Had the boiler serviced recently, my lovely plumber advised that we should bleed the radiators as the system had been "dormant" for sometime.

So last weekend we turned on the heating and Mr P set off with his trusty radiator key and let all the air out of each one. Good chap!

But as I sit here, with the heating on, there is a very annoying noise, which I can only describe as "donk'"

It is so distracting! It isn't even a regular donk, just when you think it's stopped, it donks again!

I can only hear it when in the kitchen, no donks at all if I'm in the sitting room.

Seems daft to call Gareth the plumber out for donk noises on a heating system that otherwise is working perfectly well, but it is seriously getting on my wick!

mimiro Thu 28-Sep-17 19:42:52

i have a heater that does that/they told me it was condensation/a random drip as system drys out
dont know if that helps
maybe theres a law and order episode playing somewhere doink doink{grin}
sorry was the first thing that came to mind.

phoenix Thu 28-Sep-17 19:45:44

mimiro nothing is leaking (as far as I'm aware shock)

It's just going donk!

lemongrove Thu 28-Sep-17 19:45:56

Sounds as if one of the radiators has air in it.Get Mr P to look at them, not worth a plumber coming out if you can find the problem yourselves.

mimiro Thu 28-Sep-17 19:55:14

its not a leak more like a tiny drip as it evaporates.it goes away after about half a day the first time its on,but i live in an incredibally humid place
also agree with the air trapped idea.havent had radiators in awhile but remember all sorts of sound effects each winter as they were turned on.papa always fiddling with the key and tapping(dont know if it did anygood)until he was happy with it all.

MawBroon Thu 28-Sep-17 20:01:56

Nothing really helpful to suggest but I am reminded of when my car had an annoying rattle so I took it to our lovely local garage in the village.
After much sucking of teeth and shaking of heads, I was asked if the car had a radio?
Yes, I thought, sensing a cause of the problem....
"Well, I'd turn it up a bit if I were you then you won't hear it!"

phoenix Thu 28-Sep-17 20:07:42

Maw grin

MissAdventure Thu 28-Sep-17 21:13:59

Never mind a radiator key. You obviously need a 'Donk-key'

Cherrytree59 Thu 28-Sep-17 21:25:06

Missadventure grin

Cherrytree59 Thu 28-Sep-17 21:44:56

I'm reminded of the Val Doonican and his magnificent toysmile

I also think you may have some trapped air Phoenix

MawBroon Thu 28-Sep-17 22:36:25

Or what Terry Wogan might have referred to as "trapped wind"?? grin

Charleygirl Thu 28-Sep-17 22:44:21

If Mr.P is still working away from home, you can meet him at the front door tomorrow evening with the radiator key in your hand. Then I know that he will feel wanted. It does sound like air in one of the radiators. Are you sure that it is not coming from the boiler itself?

Crafting Thu 28-Sep-17 22:47:13

phoenix I agree you need burping grin

I think Mr P should have another go at bleeding the radiators. We had a similar problem but ours was a clunk not a donk but we had hissing too ?

phoenix Thu 28-Sep-17 22:51:59

Well I never did! Trapped air! Trapped wind!

This is my heating system we are talking about, not my digestive system!

Of course as a "lady" I do not have any form of wind (trapped or otherwise) and have never ever had either botty burps or windy pops,the elder of which my boss's dogs seems to be a martyr too.

PamelaJ1 Fri 29-Sep-17 07:48:06

I suggest you flush the system through with gripe water.
Sorry?

hulahoop Fri 29-Sep-17 14:38:17

Some very witty answers on here today have made me smile thank you??

Auntieflo Fri 29-Sep-17 19:58:16

When we first had our central heating put in, yonks(donks) ago, our lovely old fashioned plumber told me not to bleed the radiators when the pump was on as "some radiators suck and some blow" grin. Don't know how true this is/was, or even if relevant for new systems.

Crafting Fri 29-Sep-17 20:57:22

Maybe it's a centipede with a wooden leg.... you know the one..99 donk, 99 donkgrin

Chrishappy Fri 29-Sep-17 22:20:49

I believe your supposed to bleed radiators with the heating switched off. That way no air is getting pumped round so no donking!

jollyg Sat 30-Sep-17 09:17:15

Chris, you are right about the pump being off.

We leave the system on all the year aglow, with one rad on just to keep things moving around, never needed to bleed.

HillyN Sat 30-Sep-17 22:26:21

Could it be the pipes expanding as they get hot?