Gransnet forums

House and home

Louvred shutters

(9 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 08-Oct-17 01:06:29

We live in a Victotrian house with high ceilings and tall windows. The living room has a large bay window. It is getting too much for me now to climb a ladder to take the curtains down, wash them and hang them again. They are heavy. I'm thinking of getting louvre shutters to replace the curtains. Would it be a good idea? Has anyone else done this? We saw them once in a hotel and quite liked them. They don't need painting. It would be a lot easier to keep them clean. Any other suggestions?

Alima Sun 08-Oct-17 07:53:19

We have had shutters fitted to the front of the house and really like them. They don't have a thermal effect, are your curtains lined to help with heat retention and would you miss that? The shutters are not totally blackout either, would that matter? We find them easy to operate and clean, up to now just a regular dust, only had them fitted in January. The only downside is that if you clean your own outside windows from the inside it can be a bit fiddly getting your arm through the hinge gap. Probably the windows on your Victorian house are sash ones so completely different. (We first saw them in a house not far from ours and for the first time ever I coveted someone else's stuff!)

Welshwife Sun 08-Oct-17 08:59:45

Which type do you mean - the ones which are hinged at the side or those similar to a Venetian blind with much wider slats?

mrsmopp Sun 08-Oct-17 09:30:08

The bay window was replaced a few years ago. It is upvc sash window & looks exactly like the original, and slides up and down like the original. So the room stays warm, no draughts at all.

silverlining48 Sun 08-Oct-17 09:43:21

I like shutters they look very nice but wonder if natural light would be reduced.
I had my curtains made and fitted by john lewis 26 years ago and they have never been taken down since. They are a light colour but still look absolutely fine. Well i think so anyway.
Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Eglantine21 Sun 08-Oct-17 09:43:21

Love them, love them. Mine swing right back against the wall for cleaning. And I had locks put on the base so extra security. They make the rooms look so uncluttered and spacious.

Alima Sun 08-Oct-17 14:06:24

They don't reduce natural light silverlinings. The only downside is that the cat doesn't like the shutters. He used to spend ages with his head poking through the nets seeing what was going on. He can't do that now.

silverlining48 Sun 08-Oct-17 23:19:48

We have a large 6 window round bay and will be redecorating soon. new furniture carpet and curtains and a round bay is a bit of a nightmare, so thanks for letting me know shutters dont affect light. because i do think they look nice and we dont have a cat to worry about watching the workd ho by.

CythiaB Fri 08-Dec-17 13:22:16

Using shutters is a good option, as they are easy to operate and also give the house protection from outside elements. We have installed shutters in the house with the helpful hints from professionals. They allow the natural light come in and make the rooms look brighter.