Gransnet forums

House and home

Workmen

(9 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 11-Oct-17 19:20:57

It's so hard to find anyone to do any small job. I had storm damage to my roof a month ago, have rung and e mailed at least 20 companies but they don't answer or ring back or they never turn up.
I tried claiming on my insurance and wasted a whole day before being told they wouldn't pay.
Over the years I've tried everyone within 50 miles who owns a ladder and have never found one who was competent, reliable and reasonable.
The latest one has just been to look at the damage, 2 hours after I called and will do the work on Friday, told me where to check him out and will charge £300. The last one wanted £1200 for the same job.
I could have kissed him! It's very windy and wet here but I'm off to bed with my bad cold and will sleep soundly at last!

Grannyknot Wed 11-Oct-17 21:46:39

Good outcome, watermeadow smile

Tegan2 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:57:08

I've just commented on another thread about this sort of thing. I'm so sick of constantly having to phone people to do jobs who then never get back to me. I just want a shed roof replacing. I could get someone to put up a new shed but the one I have is attached to other things and just needs a new roof. I also want just one door fitting in the kitchen; the guy who did my neighbours house gave me his phone number but, again never answers his phone or phones me back. The S.O. has a place in Northumberland and knows all sorts of tradespeople who turn up and do jobs almost straight away [one even came straight from a funeral last week to help with a plumbing job]. But, back here we can get no one to do anything sad. I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall sometimes.

phoenix Wed 11-Oct-17 22:01:29

I have used the My Builder site for work on many occasions, mainly plumbing/heating or electricians and found it very good.

Saves phoning around only to be told that your job is too small, or that they can't fit you in until the first full moon after muck spreading! grin

MissAdventure Wed 11-Oct-17 22:03:04

Exactly the same situation here. I can't understand, when work is sparse, why people aren't interested enough to reply, turn up, answer their phones.

phoenix Wed 11-Oct-17 22:10:28

That is why I use My Builder (especially at work, as my boss always wants things done yesterday!)

Post what you want done, and at least any responses you get are actually interested in getting the work!

BBbevan Thu 12-Oct-17 07:33:30

Does your local council, or Age Concern, not have a list of people who will do small jobs for older people?. A friend of mine, a widow had some very good people to help her. Mostly retired craftsmen. It is worth inquiring anyway.

M0nica Thu 12-Oct-17 08:22:06

We live in a large village with parish magazine where quite a number of local tradesmen advertise. We find this a very good and efficient way to find workmen.

They know that if they let us down or do poor work, the word will get around and they will lose a good reliable source of local work.

Walking and driving around it seems to me that everyone seems to be extending or upgrading their home. I think there is more work about than workmen to do it and this does cause problems in some areas.

MissAdventure Thu 12-Oct-17 08:25:58

Our local authority no longer have a handyman service, but lots do. The handyman from our area have set up on their own and now charge 180 pounds per day, and have a long, long waiting list for their services.