Gransnet forums

House and home

Magnetic Laundry Balls - do they work?

(14 Posts)
Squiffy Sun 22-Oct-17 13:20:21

Just that really! The ones I’ve seen in a Betterware catalogue are supposed to replace the need for detergent by attracting dirt and smells out of fabrics. Has anyone tried them? Are they too good to be true?

Esspee Sun 22-Oct-17 20:36:01

The answer appears to be NO Squiffy, they don't work and are just a scam. Look it up on Wikipedia.

LadyGracie Sun 22-Oct-17 23:04:37

I used one on holiday in a gites in France, I wouldn’t use one for any longer than a fortnight. I like my clothes having a proper wash.

Nelliemoser Sun 22-Oct-17 23:18:36

They could probably work on the same principle as women have done over centuries . Beating and rubbing your washing on the rocks of your nearest stream.

Squiffy Mon 23-Oct-17 10:14:29

Nelliem I now have this wonderful image of mini-women bouncing around in my washing machine!

I've read online reviews, but they seem very mixed - and confusing because there are different types of ball (magnetic, plastic, metal, some filled with 'stuff' etc).

1moleta3 Mon 23-Oct-17 10:23:11

I only use them in the machine if the sheets and towels are dirty enough to receive a thrashing along with normal detergent. Modern equivalent to beating on the rocks.

luluaugust Mon 23-Oct-17 10:26:01

For goodness sake don't put a couple of rocks in the washing machine.

hildajenniJ Mon 23-Oct-17 10:44:22

I've tried them, they don't work! Do not spend any money on them! (The ones I had were free).

sussexoldbag Mon 23-Oct-17 12:14:39

My partner's lodger used them. They made a horrendous clanking noise in the machine and the washing came out grey and dried stiffly. Ugh! grin

Squiffy Mon 23-Oct-17 13:47:46

Hmm, no glowing endorsements then! Thanks, all of you, for your input.

Back to the stream and the rocks for me then grin Or coming up with a Plan B . . . . .

Funnygran Mon 23-Oct-17 14:15:27

I've often wondered about them when I've seen them in Lakeland so I'm glad I've read this. I had something similar to go in the tumble dryer to make towels fluffy. They made such a racket that I only used them once and the grandchildren ended up playing with them out in the garden.

W11girl Mon 23-Oct-17 15:20:18

Can't see how they would work, yes they would remove stains and dirt but not bacteria. I'm no expert but I would imagine we need chemicals such as washing powder to do that, like we need antibiotics (chemicals) to fight human bacterial infection.

Babette Mon 23-Oct-17 17:50:58

The US Federal Trade Commission has taken action against some of the manufacturers of these products because of their misleading claims.[7] Consumer organizations from several countries have recommended against buying this type of product.

amt101 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:35:39

I use a magnetic rubber ball in my machine but only because it's supposed to stop hard water problems. I still use detergent. Can really recommend Aldi's non bio liquid.