Gransnet forums

House and home

Instant Pot (or other electric pressure cookers) - recommendations

(9 Posts)
cangran Wed 03-Jan-18 12:43:22

A friend in Canada has been raving about her new One Pot (has lots of other functions apart from being a pressure cooker). There seems to be many different brands/versions/prices. Do you have one, would you recommend it, and what's it called? We are vegetarian and I'd really be interested to hear if others have found different functions useful for cooking veggie dishes, i.e. something you use all the time rather than another expensive gadget that gathers dust after initial enthusiasm!

Katekeeprunning Sun 14-Jan-18 15:01:15

I'd love to hear what people think too

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Jan-18 15:40:38

Is this similar to a Thermomix?

No, I just had a look. A Thermomix will weigh, chop, cook, stir etc as well. People I know think they are wonderful and you can get rid of all other kitchen gadgets. They are very expensive though.

hildajenniJ Sun 14-Jan-18 16:06:51

My DD had an electric multi cooker and loves it. They are vegetarian and she uses it every day. She puts Porridge in at bedtime and uses the delay function so that it is ready for breakfast. It is really easy to clean too.

hildajenniJ Sun 14-Jan-18 16:10:09

My DD also has a bread machine, a yogurt maker and a device that makes oat milk as one of my DGS's has a dairy allergy. They are all used every day.

Welshwife Sun 14-Jan-18 17:36:51

When I looked at a one pot cooking gadget I came to the conclusion it was very similar to a pressure cooker. Maybe someone has knowledge of using one and can let us know if that is correct. I am not keen on green veggies cooked in a pressure cooker - prefer to steam them.

MissAdventure Sun 14-Jan-18 17:41:59

There was a brand new one which came from my daughters, and has been passed from person to person. Nobody seems able to get to grips with it.

Bathsheba Sun 14-Jan-18 17:44:50

I have an Instant Pot and can thoroughly recommend it. You can just put all your ingredients in, turn it on and walk away. It makes the most fabulous risotto so quickly - no standing at the stove, stirring for half an hour. And I make yoghurt in it regularly, so easy. And the cheesecakes! OMG, the cheesecakes!

Happychops Wed 28-Feb-18 22:33:50

I have an Instant pot and make lots of soup and stews, My daughter cooks all sorts in hers,it is used daily. I bought mine in a sale as I thought that they were expensive. It has been money well spent,as I cook and freeze food.I would recommend buying one, as they are easy to use,no standing over them,as once prepared you press a button and walk away.