Gransnet forums

House and home

saucepans

(13 Posts)
JackyB Fri 05-Jan-18 13:23:30

I've just noticed that you specify light-weight and non-stick. AMC are neither of those - they have the heavy bottoms, which are heavy but save you a lot of electricity/gas. However, if you do stick to small ones maybe you can compensate for the weight.

They are not non-stick, but very good quality and clean up beautifully.

LadyGracie Fri 05-Jan-18 13:00:28

I bought 2 Salter non stick pans from Sainsbury’s half price, they’re very good, nice comfortable to hold handle and dishwasher safe.

JackyB Fri 05-Jan-18 12:14:54

My mother has AMC - they are brilliant. The best thing is that you can slot the lid into the handle when cooking instead of having to put it, dripping, on to the counter. Also the lids can be used as stands for the saucepans which are smart enough for serving in.

Having said that, I recently bought a small saucepan at Aldi which has many of the same features and is very useful. Also, it has silicon-covered handles which don't get hot.

Do the handles get hot? Is the most important question I would ask when buying new saucepans.

Also, as, presumably, now your children have left home, you will only be cooking small amounts and it may be best not to get a set but to put together what you need, including more pans in smaller sizes than the usual family-size bigger ones.

seacliff Fri 05-Jan-18 09:54:45

I love my stellar stainless steel, had them over 20 years now. Good as new, don't stick if you stir the sauce. If anything does burn, I just boil up a little bio washing powder and all clean and sparking again.

vampirequeen Fri 05-Jan-18 09:50:11

I bought the Tefal wok with the removable handle for the van. It's very good. Looking at treating myself to other pans. You only need to buy one handle and pans can go from hob to oven to table.

harrigran Fri 05-Jan-18 09:38:19

Over the years I have had some well known makes of pans but the ones that have given the best service are sets I bought in Aldi.

Marydoll Fri 05-Jan-18 07:39:51

Have you looked on Procook? My cast iron ones are too heavy to lift now and I have replaced them with ones from Procook?

kittylester Fri 05-Jan-18 07:06:15

I bought pans from Ikea shock and they have been brilliant.

I no longer use non stick (apart from frying pans) and decided that I would try cheapish ones. The Ikea ones go in the dishwasher and come out as good as new.

Seaside22 Fri 05-Jan-18 06:07:48

I bought some scoville pans from Asda six months ago, after reading the very good reviews, I have to say they have lived up to their expectactions, so much so I've just bought my son and dil a set of three pans and two frying pans for £30 in the sale unbelievable value.So far so good, most places sell them including Argos.

Cherrytree59 Thu 04-Jan-18 23:04:34

As you are in the wrong place Mollie can I ask what it is that you are looking for ??confused

21again My saucepans are Brabantia they have stood the test of time, my sister bought them for me us about 16,years ago. We got rid of a lot of old cooking paraphernalia in 2016 when redid our kitchen but the saucepans were still as good as new?

My cooker hob is gas and the pans bottoms are a good weight (ifyswim), but the overall weight is not too heavy.

mollie Thu 04-Jan-18 21:15:56

Oops! Wrong place blush

mollie Thu 04-Jan-18 21:15:12

Snap! I was just looking online and the choice is bewildering shock

21again Thu 04-Jan-18 20:38:35

I need 3 new saucepans - lightweight - non-stick - any recommendations, please. Long time since I had to buy any!!