Gransnet forums

House and home

Homebase Kitchens

(14 Posts)
Smithy Sat 06-Jan-18 13:42:20

Does anyone have any experience of using the above? They have changed all their kitchens and are saying they won't be beaten on price and quality.
I'm looking at kitchens and would appreciate it if anyone has used then and could comment. Thanks.

BBbevan Sun 07-Jan-18 12:35:45

We had a Homebase kitchen fitted in our last house about 7 yrs ago. It was excellent, and still looked good when we sold the house last year.. Well made and the fitters were good. We are looking for a new kitchen now. If we had a Homebase near us we would certainly use them again.

JanieG Sun 07-Jan-18 12:40:06

We had a very good experience with Homebase about 6/7 years ago, great kitchen excellent fitter, still happy with the result. Ownership of homebase has changed since then and our local branch has certainly gone downhill so im not sure what they are like now.

jeanie99 Mon 08-Jan-18 14:07:55

In our previous home some 12 years ago we bought a painted cream kitchen from Home base.
Hubby and I fitted it ourselves to save money and it looked great we were well pleased with the quality.
Not sure what the quality and selection is now though.
In the home we are in now we bought our kitchen from Wrens 2 years ago and it looks as good as new.
I bought the sink, oven, microwave, and fridge and freezer from different companies.
If you shop around you can get some great deals for the same appliance. I saves a few hundred pounds doing this.
Best of luck

Smithy Mon 08-Jan-18 20:59:34

Thanks for replies. I looked at Wren, Jeanie. They seemed quite expensive, but I'll take another look at them.

midgey Mon 08-Jan-18 21:34:19

Homebase have been bought by an Australian company so won’t be the same thing as a few years ago. I do think it is a very different place when you go in.

BBbevan Tue 09-Jan-18 04:54:19

Yes I agree midgey Homebase have changed for the worse. Everything seems very cluttered in there now.

Alima Tue 09-Jan-18 07:53:54

A little off piste Smithy, we had our kitchen done (bought from/fitted by) B&Q about 6 years ago. (Cannot remember why we used them instead of Homebase). Still looks as good as when it was new. The fitters were excellent, they did their own jobs as well as doing work for B&Q.

loopyloo Tue 09-Jan-18 08:12:54

Yes Homebase has been bought by that Australian company. Our local one is being reborn as a Bunnings. Apparently they are going to have a wider range of barbecue equipment. Do they know what our summers are like?
The kitchen units will be a bit of a gamble.

Smithy Tue 09-Jan-18 09:26:00

Thanks for that Alima, did wonder about B and Q. They closed down our local store but there's one a few miles away. Will have a look on line to get an idea of their range.

midgey Tue 09-Jan-18 09:29:52

My landlord had a kitchen put in by B and Q, afraid it is a case of its only as good as the fitter who in this case was third party! The work was rubbish!

Nanabilly Tue 09-Jan-18 11:03:58

We have a kitchen from b and q ..it had a brand though . Cooke and something I think . It's been in for 5 years now and it's still good as new . Don't have there fitters though find a man yourself as they are very very expensive .

jeanie99 Fri 12-Jan-18 00:00:09

Smithy
Buying a new kitchen is expensive that is a fact but you can cut the cost especially on appliances by shopping around. It's one of the major purchases we have in our homes and it as to be right.
Compare what you are getting from all the suppliers in your area based on your requirements. Consider the after sales service also and the guarantees each company offers. Don't be afraid to ask for discounts they can only say no, they want the sale and no you can go somewhere else so be cheeky.
If you buy the fitting from someone else because you can get it done cheaper for goodness sake employ someone who is an experienced kitchen fitter who can fit worktops.
My son and his wife employed someone who made a complete mess of their worktop and they never got the finish perfect.
I had a couple of estimates from kitchen fitters thinking I could save some money this included gas electric and plumbing work but the estimates came out more expensive than Wrens I was astonished because Wrens fitting cost was expensive.
Best of luck take your time and I hope you get the perfect kitchen.

Smithy Sat 13-Jan-18 08:56:02

Thanks for that Jeanie. I'm very wary and have been ripped off so much in the past that's why I'm dithering so much.