Gransnet forums

House and home

Behaviour of Insurance Company

(3 Posts)
Heckter Tue 16-Jan-18 10:55:53

Got back Thursday afternoon from a 5 week Christmas break to find our entire basement flat had been flooded: all carpets saturated to the furthest extremities; mildewed and mouldy furniture and fittings; beautiful efflorescences growing from low down the plaster walls and some carpets; long curtains stained; 5cms water in the cellar and distinctly unpleasant odour, but no sewage: only rainwater.

The broker assured us the buildings insurance company would contact us on Friday afternoon. After much badgering the insurance company contacted us Monday afternoon, to make an appointment for Tuesday afternoon.

In the meantime, we have been living in this foul air, sliding with wet shoes every time we contact the tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms (which were not affected); the most horrendous humidity with water streaming down the windows and down the walls if we don't catch it with the endlessly sopping towels; still mopping out the cellar twice daily.

We both have health issues, and the insurance company have done absolutely nothing about our situation, and we have had no guidance as what to do. We await the very busy assessor's opinion.....

Our contents insurers have been kind, helpful and sympathetic. The buildings insurer I would say is neglectful of their clients who find themselves in an uncomfortable situation through no fault of their own. Is this a normal way for insurers to behave?

Fennel Tue 16-Jan-18 11:23:59

Oh dear that sounds terrible Heckter.
When you say "our basement flat" is that your only home? Or do you own the floor above too?
This reminds me of a similar problem that our eldest daughter and partner had with the ground floor of their house. Except they'd only been away for 2 days. They had no problems with their insurers, but it took almost a year to put things right.
I wonder if your building insurers are trying to find someone else to blame eg local council drainage dept.
With daughter's problem, I was surprised fault wasn't found with the below ground plumbing work of the company which built their fairly new house.

Auntieflo Tue 16-Jan-18 11:56:40

Heckter, a lot of insurance companies have a 30 day clause about absence from your home. Hoping you are well covered, and good luck.