Gransnet forums

House and home

Vertical blinds

(10 Posts)
Marieeliz Tue 30-Jan-18 11:05:55

I have had vertical blinds for years. Last summer replaced the slats. These replacements do not keep sun or glare out. Was told they are now made of a different fabric. Does anyone know of a good quality vertical blind. The front of my house is in full sun during the day but the rear is in the shade. Do not really want Venition as they are hard to clean.

Already today because it is sunny I cannot keep the sun out. Any suggestions please.

hildajenniJ Tue 30-Jan-18 13:23:06

In our last house we had verticals blinds. They were particularly useful in the conservatory as it faced south. We bought them from Hillary's. I don't know what they are like now, but I believe you can buy slats on line from their sister company. My only advice would be to do research and look at reviews for the blinds you like.

Teetime Tue 30-Jan-18 15:02:20

I have bought Hilary's blinds for years and have always be satisfied with the quality and fitting - they last too long in a way!!

Sar53 Tue 30-Jan-18 15:37:30

We live in a second floor flat, our lounge has windows, floor to ceiling along the whole of one wall. The sun shines in all morning, from sunrise to about midday. We have vertical blinds, bought online from Blinds2Go. We are 100% happy with them. Have a look at their website, lots to choose from.

Nelliemoser Tue 30-Jan-18 15:50:17

I have some of vertical blinds that really need replacing as they have been in place for years.
I also recommend Hillarys.
My living room is a through room and facing the entrance of the close of houses we live in. Ours is a "goldfish bowl" so I do enjoy the privacy they give.

You can turn the blinds side ways to angle out the sun.

Marieeliz Tue 30-Jan-18 22:21:41

Thank you for your replies. Do Hillary's do home fitting. Mine will angle but still do not keep the glare out even when fully closed.

fivegee Sun 04-Feb-18 12:04:22

Marieeliz. Have you though about plantation shutters? They are more expensive thatn verticals but much more solid as they're made of coated mdf. We've just had them fitted in our living room, thet're so versatile as they can be split top/bottom and open right out if you want that. We certainly wouldn't go back to verticals now!

ryangladwin Wed 07-Mar-18 20:06:40

Hiya, whoever told you that the cloth isn't as good as it used to be is talking rubbish. If you have got the vertical rail up which you should have, just swap the slats around it's really easy and will save you lots of pennies.

ryangladwin Thu 08-Mar-18 20:30:28

I had a dig and we used a company called blinds superstore and they were really good with an even better price. www.blinds-superstore.co.uk If you look for a cloth that has a SPC backing, this is solar protective coating and they use it for conservatories.

Greenfinch Thu 08-Mar-18 20:46:41

Ours are from Hillary's and I have been very pleased with them.