Gransnet forums

House and home

My Husband is uncomfortable with kisses on the bottom!

(68 Posts)
Liz08 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:08:52

No, it's not what you think. Haha. He just has an aversion to text messages signed with an kiss after the name.
We both belong to many different groups comprising of people of all ages but quite often when an acquaintance (male or female) contacts him they sign their name with an X after it.
He doesn't know how to respond to this. With his RAF background he wants to put OAO (Over And Out) but that might mean something with Hugs in it ........
Any suggestions? confused

Grampie Fri 16-Mar-18 10:42:35

How do we turn off those newly annoying ads that pop-up at the bottom of the screen of my iPad?

I’ve already disabled pop-ups but somegeek at Gransnet is determined to annoy us.

varian Thu 15-Mar-18 11:36:27

they don't always get it exactly right (not write)

varian Thu 15-Mar-18 11:35:19

We've always put xs on birthday cards to grandchildren, the same number as the birthday. They do the same, which is quite an effort for them and they don't always get it exactly write as we are so old it takes up a lot of space and needs careful counting. Last birthday one of my cards had one too many, so I said I'd keep it for next year.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 15-Mar-18 11:26:41

I don't use xxx on texts or emails, but I do use Love from on emails, letters and postcards. Why should we be consistent, I ask (but not always).

angie95 Thu 15-Mar-18 11:24:20

I think a little x at the end of a letter etc is a nice thing to do, xx

Craicon Thu 15-Mar-18 10:34:55

No wonder the Brits have a reputation for being cold fish. xxx

FarNorth Wed 14-Mar-18 22:04:51

No kisses from me, except to one friend who always puts them on her texts. I feel a bit of a twit doing it, all the same.
I do smiley faces, tho.

grannybuy Tue 13-Mar-18 23:38:37

Kisses only to some close friends and family - likewise'love from'. I'm probably a 'formal' kind of person to a great extent.

Anniepops Tue 13-Mar-18 23:06:51

Get to a certain age and just think xxx. Love family and the people you love around you. Long may we all be connected with a x. Xxxx

Daisyboots Tue 13-Mar-18 21:25:40

I usually add to xx to most messages to friends and family. Here in Portugal people who know you tend to give you a kiss on either cheek. Even my dentist does it. When they write they put 'beijinhos' at the end which means little kisses. The cashier at our bank is a lovely young man and he made me laugh when he said to another customer. Adeus Beijinhos without thinking. He then looked at me, grinned and said oops. Not the first time I have heard him say it without thinking.

Moocow Tue 13-Mar-18 20:15:47

As has already been said , love the title! I like OAO but know what you mean. However he just needs to start it off in full then start shortening it to OAO and like BFN as a friend uses people will get to know. Might start using it myself OAO grin

Fennel Tue 13-Mar-18 19:09:01

When writing to family I put x's at the end according to the number in the family.
To make it real, when we were in France (just come back) there was a lot of kissing going on. Hand shaking too.
The french where we were are very kind in helping out in an emergency. Several times I needed help and afterwards gave the man a big hug and kiss on the cheek (upper left). They seemed to appreciate it.

Newquay Tue 13-Mar-18 18:57:08

Love the heading, bit like my DH always prefers to eat his scones "with nothing on".
When one of my DGS was about 4/5 and we used to take him to town on the bus, I explained what he had to do-state where he was going and give the driver the money. He listened intently and then asked "should we shake hands?" How sweet!
I've been told that you have to match kisses "on the bottom" no more, no less!

Marthjolly1 Tue 13-Mar-18 14:22:42

I'm a huggy kissy sort of person in life so always put multiple kisses on family and friend messages. BUT I'm always careful with messages to people outside that circle because some would find it odd. Particularly solicitor or insurance man etc xxx

Gaggi3 Tue 13-Mar-18 14:03:54

DH once left a voice message to a fisherman we'd never met, trying to get fresh lobster, ending with 'love to you', which is what he says to family. We never heard back from the fisherman, I wonder why......

Grandmarnia Tue 13-Mar-18 13:54:38

I too put kisses at the end of my messages, and sometimes in the middle - trying to inject a little of the facial expressions and voice tone that is lost in a text. However, a male friend did text and ask me why I put kisses in my texts so maybe just something he too is not comfortable with as they might take the kiss as being an actual kiss...?

Jan51 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:42:25

MH (man hugs)

Jan51 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:34:55

When DH and SIL text each other they sign off with MY (man hugs) lol.

driverann Tue 13-Mar-18 12:17:14

Kisses don’t cost anything and mean a lot. But there again all to their own.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:17:13

I must admit I hardly ever put an x at the end of texts and I rarely give them much thought. I don't even bother to reciprocate if I receive them either. I don't know what that says about me.

inishowen Tue 13-Mar-18 11:27:11

My friends little boy was writing a birthday card to his friend. He asked what people did if they didn't want to kiss. His mum said "they shake hands". It was with some amusement she read his card. He'd written "with love and shake hands"!

sarahellenwhitney Tue 13-Mar-18 11:19:56

Liz08
I am on your husbands wavelength.
No, I am not ex RAf.

Legs55 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:09:45

Thank you for making me LOL (laugh out loud)grin

I do add kisses on text/messages to DD & close friends also in cards to close family & close friends.

A habit I have when talking to any-one either face to face or on the phone is calling them "love" or "luv" , comes from my Yorkshire upbringing, part of the way I speak, sorry if I offend. So I think "kisses on the bottom" is quite acceptablesmile

Florence64 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:07:38

I don't tend to text older, male family members, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't put kisses if I did. I remember meeting up with an old neighbour at a funeral once. At the same time as he put his hand out to shake hands, I embraced him and the look of horror and confusion on his face was enough to make me more careful in future!

squirrel5 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:58:57

I,m withEloethan,I put kisses to family and closefriends,,and smiles to anyone else x ?