Gransnet forums

House and home

An unwelcome visitor!

(6 Posts)
goldengirl Mon 28-May-18 11:48:49

I heard a rustling in our fireplace and then a buzzing on the windowsill nearby [not sure whether the 2 were linked] which made me investigate and lo! this is what I discovered

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/beware-super-wasp-european-hornet-10317150

At least this is what I think it was. It was certainly over 2 cm! I covered it with a plastic cup and slid a card underneath and deposited it well away from the house. Touch wood all has been quiet ever since.

Has anyone seen one?

The odd thing is that I didn't worry about catching it - but show me a spider and I disappear in a puff of smoke!

ninathenana Mon 28-May-18 11:54:22

No, and I hope I never do !

Belgravian Mon 28-May-18 12:15:58

I got stung last year by one and so did one of my dogs!

I was over the woods and saw this huge big thing and then it disappeared and I felt a sharp pain in my knee and it had stung through my trousers! The sting was momentarily but then one of the dogs yelped and stood still and refused to walk and I had to carry him home!

He was fine and so was I but two weeks after my sting it came back with a vengeance and itched and hurt for over a week! Bizarre!

goldengirl Mon 28-May-18 13:11:18

Are they taking over from the 'normal' wasp? I got stung by the 'normal' type in a London underground train of all places!!! The only time I've ever been stung - touch wood!!!

Greyduster Mon 28-May-18 15:36:59

I haven’t seen a hornet in this country but we used to get them in the Far East boring holes an inch across in the facias on our bungalow! We didn’t made any attempt to stop them.

shysal Mon 28-May-18 16:32:30

It may just have been an ordinary Queen wasp looking for somewhere to start a nest. They can be huge.