Gransnet forums

House and home

Desperately seeking..... soft cotton bedding!

(18 Posts)
ditzyme Wed 03-Oct-18 10:45:22

Bewildered by thread counts, thought the higher the count the softer the sheet. WRONG!!! I don't want shiny or crisp or slithery about cotton sheets. I want sheets with the feel and comfort of old cotton sheets, soft and welcoming, not cold and unwelcoming. I am searching for my Prince Charming of bedlinen, but all I find is a frog.
Anyone able to help?

DoraMarr Wed 03-Oct-18 10:57:05

You probably want washed cotton. M&S do some washed cotton bedding, as do H&M ( other high street stores are available)

Witzend Wed 03-Oct-18 11:05:45

How about the old fashioned brushed cotton sort - I think they're still available. Nice and soft - and they were a godsend when I was much younger and living in freezing rented houses with no heating to speak of.

LadyGracie Wed 03-Oct-18 11:10:13

I recently bought a fitted bottom sheet from Next, the packing said it was extra soft, it's beautiful, it reminds me of my dear Mil's sheets when I married DH 48 years ago, soft and cosy, I'm going to get a couple of sets now. M&S flannelette sheets are also beautifully soft

Agus Wed 03-Oct-18 11:20:41

Have a look on amazon or in TKMaxx

I buy Egyptian Cotton Percale /Sateen, not shiny or slippery?

Look out for Behrens in TKMaxx,

Also bought similar bed linen recently in Tesco from their Fox&Ivy collection. Good quality and value

humptydumpty Wed 03-Oct-18 11:46:13

Yes I vote for brushed cotton, easily available!

Squiffy Wed 03-Oct-18 12:23:49

I've just bought hotel quality Egyptian cotton sateen sheets from Kings of Cotton. Really pleased with the feel, quality and price. They do a variety of colours.

MiniMoon Wed 03-Oct-18 12:24:48

Flannelette sheets are what you need. They are available in many outlets.
My DH loves them, but I would rather have ordinary cotton sheets.

gillybob Wed 03-Oct-18 13:07:19

Brushed cotton sheets and pillowcases are available from Asda (cream and white). I buy them for my DGC's beds at mine as they love that they are "soft and cuddly" they hate, what they call, "hard sheets".

Mapleleaf Wed 03-Oct-18 16:25:42

I like cotton sheets for the summer, but switch to flannelette for the autumn and winter months - so cosy and warm. They are easily available at this time of year, e.g., Next, M & S, and most big department stores. Can get them online, too. Good luck! ?

Chewbacca Wed 03-Oct-18 18:52:24

I've bought bedding from The Secret Linen Store and they were very good to deal with. Huge choice of sizes, types of cotton and colours and patterns.

www.secretlinenstore.com/bed-linen/collections?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0dHdBRDEARIsAHjZYYAbNkYxRWcRqjDtKw9r4EvYWLXz1IVWrSlRS2xzDHnQIKpADrGMCLsaAuIwEALw_wcB

Charleygirl5 Wed 03-Oct-18 18:57:10

Dunelm Mill has a good selection- I am also confused by the selection. I also would like cosy flannelette sheets as I am a cold morsel.

Treebee Wed 03-Oct-18 19:12:40

Warning- the fitted flannelette sheet I bought from Dunelm shrank so it no longer fitted. A shame as it was beautifully soft.

Grammaretto Wed 03-Oct-18 21:36:23

Our sheet and duvet set from Habitat (sale) is so lovely. Quality cotton, not brushed but soft and strong. I have to wash them, dry them and put them straight back on the bed.

ditzyme Thu 04-Oct-18 09:36:13

Thanks everyone. I bought some flannelette/brushed cotton bedding last year, but it didn't take long before it 'pilled' which didn't feel particularly nice next to your skin. I prefer cotton sheets, other half isn't bothered either way, but I thought soft cotton would be a compromise. I shall investigate your suggestions, thank you.

ditzyme Thu 04-Oct-18 10:09:54

Have actually found a company called Dip and Doze, where they give you the option to choose bedlinen between 'cool and crisp' and 'soft and smooth'. The colour choice is very limited sadly, but never mind, if they give me the quality and feel I want, that will do.

Leavingnormal Sun 11-Nov-18 00:26:37

High cotton thread count does not necessarily mean very soft sheets. Apparently, the thread length has something to do with it too. You can have high thread count, short thread length cotton which is often not as soft as lower thread count, long thread length cotton. The softest sheets are those with high thread count and long thread length, I believe

In America they are now growing what they call Supima cotton which is supposed to be very soft, and is being called the eqivalent of true egyptian cotton. It’s expensive. Pima cotton is its cheaper and less soft cousin.

I know this minutiae about cotton because I have a skin condition that means I need to wear ultra soft clothing on my top half.

littlelillyboy Tue 22-Dec-20 12:49:56

I would suggest checking Karpasa.co.uk before buying any cotton product because I found their blogs are very amazing