Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving into a residential caravan

(13 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Sun 14-Oct-18 14:27:26

Thanks everyone for your input on behalf of my sister who’s moving from her upstairs flat into a residential caravan. We have looked at several residential caravans over a period of weeks and spoken to folks who live at the site in mind. It’s even got planning permission for a community pool. Agreed there’s no comparison with Park homes but my sisters not looking for a Park home she just wants an affordable comfortable living accommodation which will suit her needs. Here’s hoping for a successful transition. smile

Chinesecrested Sat 13-Oct-18 20:34:34

On the plus side, these mobile homes are warm, spacious, comfortable and often have gardens. There's usually a good community spirit, and a pub or clubhouse.

The downside are the site fees, the fact that sometimes the site won't allow vans over a certain age, possible depreciation, and the fact that you don't own your plot.

Diana54 Sat 13-Oct-18 17:39:12

The OP mentioned a residential caravan, that's what I had, a 2 bedroom park home with gas central heating it was not!.
A new luxury park home can easily cost £200,000 and more, smaller single units and older homes much less but remember they loose value year by year, unlike a house or flat which will increase in value.
Check the site fees carefully and any regulations, not to mention the site owners just like landlords there are good and bad.

Bikerhiker Sat 13-Oct-18 17:27:44

I lived in a mobile home many years ago but it was a far cry from those of today. However, I loved it because it was quiet, had a garden and was in the country.
My MIL moved from hers 5 years ago to be nearer to facilities and she misses it terribly. She had a good community around her and more space than she has now.
The only thing I would say, in addition others, is that residential caravans do depreciate in value which means that once out of the property market it could be difficult to reverse if your sister regretted the move. The lady next door to me many years ago was in this position.
I hope your sister manages to sort out what is best for her.

sodapop Sat 13-Oct-18 17:05:47

Sounds lovely Henetha. Park homes have come a long way in the last few years and are ideal country homes. Worth checking the rules of the site owner though before you commit to buy.

henetha Sat 13-Oct-18 11:36:01

I live in a Park Home and it's wonderful. Mainly for the peace and quiet and being in the countyside. It's just like a detached bungalow really, with garden all round, a garage,
3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. It was somewhat cold in winter but this summer I had gas central heating installed and now it is warm and cosy.
The site owners here are a big company and everything is done properly. The law has changed quite a lot in recent years with much more protection to us residents.
I do pay a monthly site fee, and if sold then I would have to give the site owners 10 percent of the sale price. There is lobbying of parliament going on at present for site owners to be forced to reduce that. Anyway, I don't wish to move as this is a little bit of heaven here. I'm surrounded by trees and birds and countryside. I've been here for almost ten years now with no problems. We have an active residents association with many activities and outings going on, but there is no pressure to join in. And I have masses of storage.
Park Homes are not to be confused with holiday caravans. There is no resemblance.

Mamissimo Sat 13-Oct-18 10:43:24

Take a lot of care with the legal stuff! My daughter’s MiL bought a park home and loves it. When she bought it several years ago she was assured that they could use it as their residence but it turns out that the company selling it to her were crooks. The park has issued an eviction notice to her because it only has a holiday license - meaning they should have another address and leave the site for several weeks of the year. Sadly she has nothing in writing from the company who sold her the home. Some parks also charge a big exit fee if you sell your home.

Tread carefully and make sure everything is confirmed in writing!

CassieJ Sat 13-Oct-18 10:26:37

Dianna54 my parents live in a park home and they are nothing like you describe. It is a lovely home, very large, has central heating and never gets damp. No condensation problems.
Storage is a bit of a problem, but it's a good excuse for a clear out.
Elizabeth1 - if your sister gets the right home, she will be fine, my parents love where they live, they have been there for about 20 years now and have many good friends there.

Elizabeth1 Sat 13-Oct-18 10:16:16

Dianna54 what year did you have your mobile home and did you have central heating? These new ones are very beautiful and seem to have all these things taken into consideration. The newer ones are advertising as winterised whatever that means. We’ve both visited a site which appears to have a homely and safe environment.

Here’s hoping my sister can declutter to the bare minimum.

Situpstraight1 Sat 13-Oct-18 08:46:47

It might be a good idea for her to go and visit a residential park and see if she could speak to someone already living in one of the homes, a friend owns one and she loves it, she has full central heating and is close to a small village.

Check though that the site doesn’t have a cut off age for the homes, your DS doesn’t want to have to buy a newer one when hers reaches a certain age.

My friend does, however, have to live a clutter free life! Although she is allowed to have a shed in her garden area.

Diana54 Sat 13-Oct-18 08:23:18

Mobile homes have limited storage space, so throw out any clutter before you move.
Although they are better insulated than they used to be condensation is a problem a cold wardrobe will attract moisture and clothes will go mouldy. Any clothes you don't need pack them in a vacuum bag. So make sure ventilation is maintained and heating on in all rooms.

I had a mobile home for 2 yrs OK in reasonable weather but very cold weather was a problem.

silverlining48 Sat 13-Oct-18 08:14:53

Do you mean a park home? The only one I have been into was pleasant and surprisingly spacious with an outside space for flowers etc. Neighbours friendly. She was happy and is still there 10 years on.

Elizabeth1 Sat 13-Oct-18 07:58:15

My sister lives in an upstairs flat however she’s now got the flat up for sale with the intention of moving into a residential caravan.

If there’s anyone out there who has experienced this type of move I would appreciate any advice you could give.