Gransnet forums

House and home

Dog barking

(11 Posts)
Marieeliz Tue 16-Oct-18 09:27:15

All my neighbours are out at work all day. My new neighbour, next door, moved in a year ago. She was supposed to have a job. She is home all day and leaves her back door open and allows her dog to bark as and when it wants. If I go outside to hang washing out or do jobs in my garden it barks. Even when I go out down my own path I can hear it barking when I am well down the road.

I have a dog who I do not allow to bark continuously, he goes out for a wee and then I bring him in.

She does not walk the dog at all.

I have my house up for sale. When prospective buyers come the dog starts to bark and it is putting buyers off. I have tried one of those electronic things which was a waste of money.

Just want to sell now and move. I have had viewings and one couple came when she was away for the weekend and the dog was silent. They are coming back for a second viewing in a couple of weeks. It is worse for me because I am home all day. Any suggestions please?

Scribbles Tue 16-Oct-18 10:53:23

Have you tried talking to your neighbour and explaining to her how irritating you find the dog's continuous barking? She may have become so used to it that she simply doesn't notice the noise any more, particularly if she's slightly deaf. If she can't or won't co-operate and try to keep the dog quiet then I think your council's Environmental Health department may be able to help. They usually have someone responsible for dealing with noise nuisance - but I wouldn't take that step until I'd talked to the woman myself.

glammanana Tue 16-Oct-18 11:00:45

Good advice from Scribbles just be careful not to get into any kind of dispute with your neighbour as you have to reveal any disputes on the questionaire when selling your property,so be very careful. Good luck with your sale.

Elizabeth1 Tue 16-Oct-18 11:20:06

A few years ago we had neighbours who’s dogs barked continually throughout the night. The neighbours worked night shift and left their conservatory open all night for the dogs to traipse in and out. (5) wee dogs. We first of all spoke to the neighbours at least a couple of times then we were forced to call the police. The neighbours thought it was a joke when the police phoned them at work. I’m afraid it was no laughing matter and I can understand exactly how you feel. Barking dogs are a real put off. Hope you get this problem sorted out soon.

Teetime Tue 16-Oct-18 14:44:16

There are several barking dogs in our road, mostly only for a short period and they do seem to start each other off. We love dogs and love to see the dogs being walked along by their owners, we have got to know several of them. We dont have a dog ourself at the moment. However there is one little dear, a terrier who barks at anything and its very high pitched and loud. DH shouts SHUT UP at the top of his voice and it does- we can hear other neighbours in their gardens laughing.

polyester57 Tue 16-Oct-18 14:54:52

I live in a flat and my dog barks only when someone rings the doorbell or if there is a commotion outside our door. I thought that my (very lovely) elderly lady neighbour next door would complain, but she said how good it was to have a dog bark, that she felt safer to hear him whenever there was someone at the door. Could you not use this as a selling point?

Treebee Tue 16-Oct-18 19:16:16

It’s a problem. Next door have five untrained unwalked little yappy dogs. They used to bark whenever we were in the garden and when buses stopped outside. I complained several times and they are quieter now. Their owners shout at them though, which is just as annoying. I complained to the council once when they barked for hours one summer evening. If you haven’t complained either to the neighbours, or the council, do one or both and the situation might improve.

Grannyben Tue 16-Oct-18 20:39:00

I must say this fills me with absolute dread. I have had rescue dogs for almost 20 years. My first three barked when there was something to back at. My latest little one barks constantly and I have tried everything I can think of, to no avail. She is 3 years old and I believe I am her 6th owner. When she is caged (when I go out and at night) she doesn't make a sound (i asked my neighbour to listen during the day) but, the moment I walk into the house she starts.
My dogs have always been walked every day and they have received plenty of attention. I would be horrified if I was reported and I am constantly apologising to the people on either side.
Just how are you supposed to stop a dog who barks at everything? I certainly don't leave her outside to annoy people but, she does have to use the garden.
It genuinely is a worry for me and perhaps your neighbours feel the same.

Marieeliz Fri 19-Oct-18 08:41:30

She is not old or deaf. Very unpleasant person so would not confront her. She did work nights for a short time in NHS. Oddly she sent another neighbour round last night, this neighbor had children around the same time as her! To tell me I had a wasps nest in my upstairs air brick. I already knew that it's been there since May not causing me any bother. Not as much as her dog ant way.

Izabella Fri 19-Oct-18 09:43:40

Grannyben i have never had a dog nor hve any experience with controlling barking, but I wondered if a muzzle would help?

mcem Fri 19-Oct-18 10:32:58

When DS moved house his dog was clearly upset when left for short periods and did bark and cry. DS's neighbour told him he was concerned and offered to take dog for a short walk if she continued to do this. Just then work patterns changed, dog settled down and a good neighboury relationship was established.
The neighbours now occasionally look after their daughter 's yappy terrier but it isn't a constant irritation and DS feels the friendship is worth more.