Gransnet forums

House and home

Persil liquid smells different!

(13 Posts)
Pollaidh Wed 07-Nov-18 10:56:29

I use Persil bio liquid - have done for years. But they've done something to it and the "fragrance" from the laundry is horrid. There was no noticeable scent before. Has anyone else noticed the difference? Trouble is, it was on half price sale and I have 3 bottles of the stuff ! hmm

Welshwife Wed 07-Nov-18 11:23:29

Yes! I have noticed a different smell - initially thought that washing must have been left in a bundle before drying but I know that didn’t happen to other things which smell a bit odd.

FlexibleFriend Wed 07-Nov-18 11:51:29

I can't say I've noticed anything different but mine is probably quite old because I tend to bulk buy when it's half price. If I need to restock and can't find persil at half price I'll swap to ariel at half price.

e1y1 Wed 07-Nov-18 15:11:59

Yes unfortunately Persil have just reformulated their entire line - powders, through to liquids and pods (and goodness knows how many others they have)

You should be able to take them back to the shop. But I never know if that script on the back of the receipt that says something along the lines of “if you’re not completely satisifed......” applies to all sold products or just ones under the stores own brand?

If you don’t wish to do this, you could contact Unilever (the makers of Persil) details should be on the back of the bottle.

Sorry that is so long.

Suki70 Wed 07-Nov-18 16:17:05

I agree, it's a very strong, unpleasant smell that lingers on the clothes. Which, the Consumers Association tested it recently and while it was rated a best buy for cleaning, they also commented on the smell.

merlotgran Wed 07-Nov-18 16:18:03

DD uses Persil and I hate the smell. When her washing machine broke down and she was waiting for the new one I let her use mine and the smell seemed to permeate everywhere.

I agree, Welshwife. It reminds me of that tang you get if washing has been left in the basket.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Nov-18 16:31:36

I thought it was just me, what with the smell of wet plaster, brick dust and paint - something else to get "grumpy granny" about ??????

Poppyred Wed 07-Nov-18 17:14:28

They did the same to BOLD a few years back added something new and had to stop buying it as both DH and I had an allergic reaction. Why can’t they leave things alone??

SusiQ8 Tue 30-Apr-19 02:47:41

I quite agree with everyone who’s written in about the awful smell Persil has now. I also bought in bulk when I saw an offer then went off to Spain for three months in my caravan taking my last bottle with me.. While over there I ran out of liquid and bought more in a large supermarket. I immediately started to smell their new “perfume” but had to put up with it until I got home. Once home, I bought a new bottle, but to no avail as the smell is still the same. I’ve now got to visit a supermarket and open all their different liquid washing detergents to find something else I like the smell of instead. What a nuisance!!

MiniMoon Tue 30-Apr-19 09:47:22

Slightly off topic, but my sister in law swore that the fragrance of Fairy Liquid had changed, and it was making her feel ill.
She found out a little later that she was pregnant.

Scribbles Tue 30-Apr-19 10:51:34

SusiQ8,try using Surcare washing liquid or Waitrose Sensitive washing liquid. Neither has any perfume added and both do an excellent job of cleaning the clothes.

EllanVannin Tue 30-Apr-19 11:23:59

Surf liquids smell lovely especially after washing has been hung outside.

Val14 Fri 06-Sep-19 16:38:34

Hi there, have just joined Gransnet and found this topic about the change in the Persil fragrance. I fell victim to this a few months ago after running out of my stock of the old fragrance. I immediately rang customer service to air my grievance and they apologised that I didn't like the new fragrance. They said that consumer testing is always carried out before deciding on a new fragrance. All I can say is that the testers must have had a diminished smell because the new fragrance is so overpowering it makes you feel nauseous, even using just a dribble of it. Sorry persil, have stopped purchasing your product and now buy Waitrose essentials washing detergent.