Gransnet forums

House and home

Fluffy Towels

(9 Posts)
Rufus2 Sun 11-Nov-18 12:11:19

Here's something you may have missed whilst nodding off during domestic science lectures at college. wink From the Nov. issue of the Oldie Mag.
"A green alternative to fabric softener is to place a tennis ball or two in the drier and set to a low heat. The balls soften the laundry and keep it from clumping together" True or False? tchconfused

e1y1 Fri 16-Nov-18 13:18:53

True, but of course new clean ones; also recommended to put them in a sock to minimise the chance of the fluorescent dye transferring to fabrics (I don't think it does).

Some people have expressed concern about the heating of rubber in the dryer and the fumes it could give off/smell it could impart on clothing - they may have a point. I don't know to be honest as I've never used them.

Have in the past used dedicated dryer balls that you can buy from Lakeland and the like.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 16-Nov-18 13:49:49

You may be able to buy balls that are made for this purpose. I have some, but don't know if they are available in UK.

I never use fabric softener, and my towels become soft in the dryer, whether I put balls in with them or not.

They become softer too, if ironed.

Marydoll Fri 16-Nov-18 14:50:11

You can buy balls for tumbling drying in the UK. I have some, but I can't remember where I bought them.grin
Knowing me, it was possibly a pound shop.

M0nica Fri 16-Nov-18 15:18:56

The greenest thing to do is not use a dryer at all, if you can avoid it.

kittylester Fri 16-Nov-18 16:36:57

Quite MOnica.

I use tennis balls when tumble drying down filled jackets.

rubysong Fri 16-Nov-18 18:33:08

I dry outside if at all possible but I have used tennis balls in the dryer to dry a duvet, which was successful (a hint from GN). I had some plastic dryer balls once but they were very noisy and I wanted to put the dryer on overnight so they are now in the DGD's 'treasure basket'.

boheminan Fri 16-Nov-18 19:14:39

A wise lady I knew told me she always put a little almond/rose oil in the washing machine drawer before the spin cycle, and everything came out smelling lovely, with towels being fluffy. I've not tried it - yet.

Treebee Fri 16-Nov-18 20:15:54

I bought my tumble dryer balls from Lakeland. They also do a towel softener liquid to add to the wash.